Avara Group

I'm looking to start a weekly play group for Avara. I haven't worked out the specifics yet, but please post here if you're interested and we should be able to work something out. I'm known as "Katana" in-game. Let's see if we can get some games going.

My schedule is pretty hectic, but you can usually find me on #avara when I can play. Angle O'Saxon has my AIM.

Angle has me blocked over AIM. Could you PM me your screen name? Thanks.

This wasn't exactly the reception I had hoped for when I originally made this thread...I don't know what has become of things these days. I don't think what was once Ambrosia will bother much with Avara now, although numerous members have attempted to rekindle the fire in recent years--although their goals have been hardly my interpretation of the legacy-- but what do I know. I know that Avara was all that was right in my personal computer universe, at least beyond its naive registration scheme that kept scores of cheap bums like myself from supporting it. Avara now is truly in a class of its own in these dark times when there are few great games, the ways of mainstream gaming having confused and misled from what was once so pure. It just keeps getting worse, worse today and it'll be worse tomorrow. If you go digging, then you can find those games where Avara could be drawn as an influence or those that it seems to have come from, but it certainly isn't the super-particle-system-multimillion dollar budget-smooth-ride-casual-gamer-borefest monopoly that seems to have taken its place. It's further down than that because Avara's death is a direct result of those games. Juri is a true programming hero, Ambrosia sold its soul off to that crowd and cut the cord a long time ago. Well, maybe that's a little harsh. After all, I do know they have to make a living somehow. And granted, the Avara audience as a whole looks to be about three people strong.

There's not a lot that interests me in the gaming world anymore, but my most recent solace I've taken to is Quakeworld. I like to think maybe a game that keeps similar to what I feel are traditions of both that game and of Avara, (i.e. a stripped down aesthetic, a minimal weapon selection, and ease of customizability) would be successful with a niche competitive community- but I know it isn't a project for me. Recently I've been experimenting with Avara and classic emulation, intending to promote it farther if it could be made more accessible. The results, however, have been far less than synergistic. If anyone has any information regarding that I would love to hear about it so shoot me a pm. I hope to hear from at least one person. I mean you'd think there'd be a few weirdos out there like me in this internet of ours, but as it turns out, it really is a surprisingly small place.

Sphinx, you out there? Pest? Hons? Mish? Heck, KeeL?

Overall, if this is the end-I'm really glad I got to play and be a part of Avara. Even though when I started it was far past its heyday I had a good time, maybe even a better time because of it. I still boot up the old bondi blue every once in a rainy afternoon to play the Keys on its dying, flickering monitor. That computer is full of memories and abandoned projects that I may one day restore. It was a good run, it was an amazing experience. We really--you know, kicked a lot of ass-- didn't we? Truly, long live Avara and long live all of its followers. God bless.

EDIT: that was a good bump.

This post has been edited by Nathan : 05 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

man I've been dying to play avara, it's a damn shame it's incompatible with intel... sphinx, you still alive buddy???

@nathan, on Mar 14 2008, 01:27 AM, said in Avara Group:

(i.e. a stripped down aesthetic, a minimal weapon selection, and ease of customizability)

Yep. Dodge-able weapon set, really.

I've been missing Avara as well, hence my checking of this forum.

@plastic-chicken, on Mar 19 2008, 09:00 AM, said in Avara Group:

Yep. Dodge-able weapon set, really.

I've been missing Avara as well, hence my checking of this forum.

I too have been missing Avara, and a little googling today came up with a way to play it on my intel mac, using a 68k emulator (Basilisk II) and MacOS 7.5.
It's only lacking network configuration, but as soon as i have it configured i'll post here an update.

Cheers

@nathan, on Mar 13 2008, 05:27 PM, said in Avara Group:

This wasn't exactly the reception I had hoped for when I originally made this thread...I don't know what has become of things these days. I don't think what was once Ambrosia will bother much with Avara now, although numerous members have attempted to rekindle the fire in recent years--although their goals have been hardly my interpretation of the legacy-

I hope to hear from at least one person. I mean you'd think there'd be a few weirdos out there like me in this internet of ours, but as it turns out, it really is a surprisingly small place.

Sphinx, you out there? Pest? Hons? Mish? Heck, KeeL?

Overall, if this is the end-I'm really glad I got to play and be a part of Avara.

It's good to still see people posting about the days of Avara. Hello Katana! 🙂
I'm happy to report that I'm still around kicking it like normal.

Things have been rather busy for me lately and I can mostly be found composing music for media and dance videogames. Please feel free to drop by my website and give me a shout sometime. http://www.kyle-ward.com If anybody ever wants to enjoy a a few friendly games of classic Avara, don't hesitate to contact me! (I can't promise my skills will be the same anymore)

Take care everyone and I'll be sure to check back soon. Long live the Avara spirit! ^_^

~KeeL

This post has been edited by -KeeL- : 31 March 2008 - 11:15 PM

Sign me up Katana. andy.halstead@gmail.com or post on http://andyh.ath.cx/imgboard/b/ -- I still have a pair of Bondi Blues. I don't think Dan has an email right now, but I have Edgar Hons on facebook. Drop me a line

Avara? What's that?

@jacabyte, on Apr 23 2008, 05:50 PM, said in Avara Group:

You're joking, right? Or at least being sarcastic?

Yes. It's Gimli.

@nightdog, on Mar 24 2008, 09:08 AM, said in Avara Group:

I too have been missing Avara, and a little googling today came up with a way to play it on my intel mac, using a 68k emulator (Basilisk II) and MacOS 7.5.

Any updates here? Really, the time and desk space required to set up an iMac or the old 604e Power Computing machine is all that keeps me from playing.

Any updates here? Really, the time and desk space required to set up an iMac or the old 604e Power Computing machine is all that keeps me from playing.

I have a link to a sheepshaver download that'll set everything up for you, I can PM it over. We really need to start a thread for information pertaining to emulation. Networking is working great, I actually played an online game of 'vara just a couple days ago. Performance is an issue, though, I have to keep the resolution really low to get the game to run at a decent speed and sound is non-functional.

So I herd you leik Avara, eh, croc? What times would you be able to play? Definitely get Edgar in on this if that's possible. Maybe he can talk to Dan.

This post has been edited by Nathan : 26 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

Posted Image
^_^

Hm, games of Avara, it has been a while.
My old G4 is set up, I'll check it after work most nights after work (sadly 3:30am EST for me). Other than days off which should be sparatically throughout the day if I am home. Which I usually am, programming seems to be a hobby =/ (that and whiskey....)

I'll play. Most definitely, if you jump on my server and I do not respond, I am more than likely upstairs for a moment. So if you have the time please be patient, I should return shortly.

Now that I have high speed, think AA (not alcoholics anonymous, the avara group/clan/whateveritwas) is still accepting members....? ^_^

-Nitro

Hm, games of Avara, it has been a while.
My old G4 is set up, I'll check it after work most nights after work (sadly 3:30am EST for me).

The tracker has been down for quite some time now so we'll be needing an IP address. Been meaning to talk to Ambrosia about that.

This post has been edited by Nathan : 19 May 2008 - 06:47 PM

Hey, sorry there has been no response from me until now, I am trying to fix a strange error with Avara. It appears I can only hit one key at a time, if I try to move forward and start turning/walking left, it cancels the first one and only does the second. Not exactly efficient for fighting a battle. Frustrating and makes me an easy target. I hope to figure this out today. Then I shall post my IP address.

Clearly dis homeboy still kickin it.

Im hosting a megaserver 24/7

Hotlist the IP: 70.67.88.111

- into your "Connect Server" IP/server hotlist... then connect.

Chances are if im not responding, I likely will within 30 minutes so just hang around. Check every so often to make sure ur still connected to server by pinging my player profile, if theres no response (change in LT times), disconnect and REJOIN SERVER NUBS.

Nitro, not sure if any other AA members are around these parts anymore.

So, you may have to wait another decade or so for membership. Gotta have enough sponsors, y'know.

Oh, and JacaByte, I was probably playing Avara before you were old enough to tie your shoes. 😉