Input Problems

mainly with clicking

I just bought this game and I'm enjoying it a lot, but two linked issues are really annoying.

1. Half the time I left click to tell a unit to move nothing happens. It's like I have to left-click "harder" to be certain (I guess that must mean holding the button down longer). Many many times I have thought I told a unit to move to a spot and then went elsewhere to go manage something and came back to find he hadn't moved at all.

2. When commanding an officer to move, his order destination (the right click function) also sometimes gets set to the spot I just told him to move to. This is infuriating and I can't figure out what causes it.

Edit: MacBook Pro 2.16 GHZ, Radeon X1600, 2 GB RAM, 10.5.6, Logitech MX 518 USB Mouse.

Edit 2: I have a new problem now! The armours in the Yard area don't seem to do anything. If I put them in cannon mode, left clicking on them just zooms out the camera, which is really random and makes me think maybe they are bugged.

@loneigadzra, on Dec 23 2008, 11:24 PM, said in Input Problems:

Edit 2: I have a new problem now! The armours in the Yard area don't seem to do anything. If I put them in cannon mode, left clicking on them just zooms out the camera, which is really random and makes me think maybe they are bugged.

I'm not sure about the other issue, but this one sounds like your turrets are unmanned. Turrets only work when they are manned by DGs. If they are manned, they will fire automatically, and can be selected for manual fire. When you deselect a turret, the camera does zoom out a bit, and if you click on an unmanned turret, it will be very briefly selected, then unseleccted, causing a zoom out. Thus, make sure that there are DGs operating the turret, and you should be fine.

xander

Oh I see, thanks.

Did some more testing, what the problem is is, every now and then, a right click will be registered in addition to the left click. For example, sometimes when I tell a squad to move they will fire a shot. I will try a different mouse, but I haven't had this problem in any other program.

Edit: Wait, what is a "DG"?

This post has been edited by LoneIgadzra : 24 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

Go to your control settings and change from 1-button mouse to 3-button mouse.

Thanks!

Well, while my input problems are solved, now I can't figure out how to do the level since it seems as though I can't un-deploy armors and I can't crawl forward due to friendly fire.

@loneigadzra, on Dec 25 2008, 02:18 PM, said in Input Problems:

Well, while my input problems are solved, now I can't figure out how to do the level since it seems as though I can't un-deploy armors and I can't crawl forward due to friendly fire.

A couple of things. First, I am pretty sure that you can destroy a turret. Selected it (while it is manned) and hit ctrl+C (if you are using the gesture input system) or simply C (if you are using icon system) to destroy it -- same way you would destroy any other units.

Second, what kind of friendly fire are you talking about? As I recall, turrets don't hit friendly units. Maybe your own 'nades are causing problems?

Finally, you might try capturing the control towers in the level, and sending squads from there. You don't always have to attack head on. And remember that all of your units are cheap -- you can always make more, so don't worry if they are destroyed. Just find a way to make some minimal amount of progress, and you will eventually get through.

xander

Nope, turrets waste friendly units! I can't inch forward, because the constant stream of fire kills every darwinian heading towards the new turret. Being able to destruct them is basically what the doctor ordered.

This post has been edited by LoneIgadzra : 25 December 2008 - 02:48 PM

@loneigadzra, on Dec 25 2008, 07:48 PM, said in Input Problems:

Nope, turrets waste friendly units! I can't inch forward, because the constant stream of fire kills every darwinian heading towards the new turret. Being able to destruct them is basically what the doctor ordered.

Man, I've been playing Multiwinia too long -- turrets don't take out friendlies there. 😉

xander

I could be wrong, the Darwinians' behavior makes it hard to tell for sure what with ants getting all up in their face at the same time. Turrets definitely kill engineers though; it's very annoying.

A tip for yard: send lots engineers round the back to take the control points and then use suicide squads from there to airstrike the anthills.

@loneigadzra, on Dec 26 2008, 12:57 AM, said in Input Problems:

I could be wrong, the Darwinians' behavior makes it hard to tell for sure what with ants getting all up in their face at the same time. Turrets definitely kill engineers though; it's very annoying.

No, you are definitely correct -- turrets kill friendlies. Ignore me. 😉

@prophile, on Dec 26 2008, 03:05 AM, said in Input Problems:

A tip for yard: send lots engineers round the back to take the control points and then use suicide squads from there to airstrike the anthills.

That's what I suggested, above. 😛

xander

@darwinian, on Dec 26 2008, 04:13 PM, said in Input Problems:

That's what I suggested, above. 😛

Oops. I just ignore what you say generally anyway :rolleyes:

@prophile, on Dec 29 2008, 02:39 AM, said in Input Problems:

Oops. I just ignore what you say generally anyway :rolleyes:

Wha? Did you say something? 😛

xander