Please don't shut down this board!

the pop-pop web board charity topic

There are still hundreds of users reading the following most favourite topic:
"No topics were found. This is either because there are no topics in this forum, or the topics are older than the current age cut-off."

😉 😄

BTW: anyone up for a tournament? 😉

Hyko, I'm sorry, you lost. The game's name was: "Move first - loose first". I admit, it was hard not to post first, but as you can see, I finally succeeded! 🙂

Besides that, I'd be the first to sign up to a new tourney. Maybe a classic one?

And in addition I'd sign a petition, if necessary: Please, please, do not close this board! We urgently need it to keep our micro-cosmic world called "group of former pop-pop-players" alive.

Whatever gave you the impression that this web board was shutting down.

Stop spreading FUD kids.

jinx, on May 2 2005, 07:09 AM, said:

Whatever gave you the impression that this web board was shutting down.

Stop spreading FUD kids.
View Post

LOL. Whatever gave you the impression that this nearly a month old topic was serious.

Don't panic boy.

This post has been edited by Hyko : 02 May 2005 - 02:51 AM

I'm still there :laugh: pop is back into memory - I would have so much loved connecting tonight and see 50 games or so... but... well ... well... I'll be one of the fews that will recall pop-pop as one of the best ever arcade games!

Anybody in?

No

i want to play! where are you all?

To this cause I pledge three giant cacti and a sodden mindless Pikeman with an italian viniagrette.

It was a long time since we had the last tournament! Bring it on!

is proud because he won over Ryoko once!

Hai hai, ne? ^_^

Ryoko, wake up. Don't host a game and be AFK. 😛

Dampus, on Sep 9 2005, 10:39 PM, said:

Ryoko, wake up. Don't host a game and be AFK. 😛
View Post

I was there... well, later... but you were not -_-;
Still, good game just now. Shame about the d/c

very briefly - there were actually 25 people on the tracker at once just now O_O;

and what's with this 200:1 views to replies ratio?!

Does anyone even pop anymore?

Sad, it was such fun. I couldn't play for a long time when everyone went OSX. My office computer had $1000s in software that they didn't want to upgrade so I was always 9.2 until last week. Now I have a new g5 in the home office and NO ONE TO POP WITH!!!

I liked it, but not enough to drag me from other games. Nova is just too much fun.

Desert Fox, on Nov 30 2005, 09:48 PM, said:

I liked it, but not enough to drag me from other games. Nova is just too much fun.
View Post

I had a go at EV Nova for a bit. I had heard quite a lot of hype about the other EV games and thought I would give it a go since Nova was release for Windows.

Sorry to admit it, but I was sadly disappointed. It seemed a little dull at first - then it got interesting when the 'missions' started. However, they quickly grew repetitive - 'set co-ordinates to here hold down "Jump" and wish like anything there was a fast forward'. Cue hyperspace effect for the four-thousandth time. Sometimes you were asked to shoot some either very easy ships or be part of a 'big battle' with lots of stupid ships that usually just destroyed each other.

Land, Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

Then the story got a bit silly and eventually the missions 'stopped' in a 'congrats, you have saved the universe, the end' way. At this point I was left hanging with nothing more to do.

Without any multi-player option there seems little point playing on. It also suffers from being far too easy since it is all flat and 2D - you cannot ever get 'lost' or 'hide' from other ships for example. Also, whilst the graphics for the different ships vary a bit (and are very well done as far as they go), and their default weapons vary, because of the 2D nature of everything, they're all much the same with little incentive to 'try out' something new. -- Besides that, most of them played far too slowly for my patience levels! ^^;;

That's not to say I didn't enjoy it for a while - about a week I suppose - but (for me) it really doesn't have anything to bring me back to it. Perhaps I'm missing something? Is there anything to do after you 'win'?

I know it's not all twitch happy like what passes for "games" these days, but pop-pop was a beautiful thing. I was so excited when I signed back in, I guess I expected at least a few players to still be lurking around, not a wasteland.....

(sigh)

bigfatbass, on Dec 15 2005, 04:13 AM, said:

I know it's not all twitch happy like what passes for "games" these days, but pop-pop was a beautiful thing. I was so excited when I signed back in, I guess I expected at least a few players to still be lurking around, not a wasteland.....
(sigh)
View Post

There are people about still - but they tend be (from what I can make out) large numbers of school kids during their lunch breaks. They don't normally challenge outside their own network, and obviously they are newbies so not that good. -_-;

I have seen Lothar around occasionally, so there are people about! If you want a game, post here when you're free and I'll try and find you. ^_^ I'll try and be on a bit this afternoon evening in case people drop by.

Oh, it's my turn again! pop-pop-board-topic-SAR-mission 😄

Oh no! I missed the first anniversary of this topic! But two days late I still wish all the best for it. It shall be the only one for the next years! 😄

@hyko, on Apr 14 2006, 11:24 AM, said in Please don't shut down this board!:

Oh no! I missed the first anniversary of this topic! But two days late I still wish all the best for it. It shall be the only one for the next years! 😄

Hai! ^_^

if we can still find anyone else who is interested in playing, that is. It is sad when the only post to the forum in however long is someone spamming. -_-

A belated 'Happy birthday' to the topic

Anyone else reading this care to comment one way or another about a tournament, or just some time when they might be more likely to be online for a casual game?