[Xsera] Other Xsera

QUOTE (Dark.Revenant @ Mar 9 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

- A crash after demo'ing for about 1 minute.

If you could email me a bug report, that'd be great.

- SFX was uncomfortably high pitched compared to the original. It just sounds weird. However, it wasn't unbearable or anything; it's just kind of impure.

That's a bug with the sampling rate on some systems, I still don't know what causes it but it should hopefully disappear when we transition to the OpenAL audio engine.

- PK beams rotated weirdly. Some random lasers would spin like autistic little bastards.

I haven't touched the game logic code much. Adam?

- Credits are not entirely up-to-date

What are the mistakes?

- UI looks a bit squished. This is probably intentional, but I suggest you change it.
- Starmap isn't infinite. This is probably not an issue, more a lack of completion.

Both known issues.

The below are all known problems, but still - thanks for posting them. It's great to see some strong interest even before the demo's released!

QUOTE (Dark.Revenant @ Mar 9 2009, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

- PK beams rotated weirdly. Some random lasers would spin like autistic little bastards.

Known issue, it's fixed in the branch I'm working on. If you'd like to test it, here's what you do: in Terminal, cd to the location of of your git repository, and type:

CODE

git pull origin windows

That will put you onto the windows branch, which at the moment is the most current one, since I've been working furiously to get Windows Xsera to work. Also, the projectiles there have a bug as well, I'm trying to get that fixed. But at least they're not "autistic" 😛

- Credits are not entirely up-to-date

If you could please send this to myself or prophile, we'll get this fixed.

So far, the two main problems to be dealt with are the f–k'ed up projectiles and the spontaneous crash. I was flying next to that blue-green thing (looks like a ball of blue crud more than a planet or star).

It's supposed to be yellow, although I don't know why the colors are inverted for that, but not for other objects. It's also partially cut off - we may not use it in the final version. In fact, if you could make a nice looking star, that would be awesome.

This post has been edited by adam_0 : 09 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

After tonight's updates, the interface is starting to look pretty sexy 😉

Functional missile count, energy drain.....

I'm very impressed 🙂

This post has been edited by redsteven : 05 April 2009 - 12:46 AM

Whoah, hello childhood.

Whoa, how'd this topic fall off the first page? One question mark!

So, anything new to report guys? Two question mark!

How are we measureing progress now? Three question mark!

Is it just slow because of finals? Four question mark!

Four Question Marks!

QUOTE (Two Jacks @ May 12 2009, 04:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa, how'd this topic fall off the first page? One question mark!

Inactivity.

So, anything new to report guys? Two question mark!

I've done a massive U-turn and I'm working towards 3D ships (rendered onto the 2D environment) after speaking at length to some of the guys from Hero of Allacrost.

How are we measureing progress now? Three question mark!

In Scoville.

Is it just slow because of finals? Four question mark!

Pretty much.

So what's Xsera's Scoville rating?

About 200,000: equivalent to the Habanero chili, the Rocoto, or last night with your mother.

QUOTE (prophile @ May 15 2009, 05:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About 200,000: equivalent to the Habanero chili, the Rocoto, or last night with my mother.

Whoa, whoa Prophile. Too much information, seriously.

Just wanted to keep things alive here. Adam's certainly been putting a lot of work into Xsera over the past couple of days.

We applaud your efforts.

Thanks, redsteven. I've been working on the more minor parts of Xsera due to a frustrating bug that's made the weapons unusable. Hopefully I'll find the answer to that soon, but I've been trying for a little bit more productive work in the meanwhile.

I've just posted information on what I hope to get done for the second tech demo on the xsera-dev Google Group.

Progress report to come shortly.

Enjoy!

I had no idea these pages existed. That's where the updates have gone...

Well xsera-dev is mostly for the developers to communicate with each other. It'll also have small updates on what we plan on doing or what we plan to discuss. The Google group and the cia.vc link that redsteven posted are two great ways to figure out what's going on as we plan it out; the progress posts in this forum are to show the public a general outline of what's going on.

Major progress will still be posted in the progress log in this forum.

This may be a stupid question but i'm going to ask anyway. Will the second tech demo work on OSX 10.4.11? or on a PPC for that matter? :huh:

It may or may not work on 10.4.11 depending on whether we can get a couple issues with that fixed. I still develop Xsera on a PowerPC machine however, so I can assure you it works on PPC 🙂

I do however recommend upgrading to 10.5.

QUOTE (prophile @ Jun 10 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do however recommend upgrading to 10.5.

I would but , sadly , my computer is just a bit to old to run 10.5 (see 2002 iMac with 800mhz G4 processor)

If you have a copy of Leopard and a faster Mac (or a friend who has them), you can install Leopard either onto an external hard drive or directly onto the Mac itself with only one catch: the hard drive must be formatted and possibly installed onto by a PPC machine. You can also use LeopardAssist if you don't have either handy. That said, I have never used it.

Be warned however, that the Mobility Radeon 9000 from my 2003 Titanium PowerBook has incompatibilities with Xsera shaders. I am not sure if a GeForce2 MX in the 15" January 2002 model will work, but I am reasonably certain that the GeForce4 MX from the 17" July 2002 revision can handle it.

I can also verify that Xsera works on a G5 and launches on my PB, albeit with no usable graphics.

New Progress Post. Discuss.

Excellent work these last couple of weeks. I can't test it right now, but it looks like Xsera is really coming along.

Great to see it coming along so nicely.
Looking forward to demo 2.

If you need it tested on a G4 last model iMac running Leopard let me know, or on 10.4.11 on a similar slightly older machine. I could also test it on my old Titanium PB running 10.4.11 or my current MBP 10.5.6, 10.5.7.
I could also facilitate any earlier version of Tiger or Leopard on appropriate machines.