[Xsera] Other Xsera

So, any news so far in February?

@sundered-angel, on Feb 10 2009, 07:43 PM, said in [Xsera] Other Xsera:

So, any news so far in February?

Well, for starters, I got sick. I'm hoping, if I get better by the weekend, that I can finish the demo with Alastair, assuming that he'll be online and available... but I think that's all we'll really need to finish the demo - a few solid hours of working together on this... we're close.

Also, in my spare time, I've been working on getting the Windows side of things to work, which hasn't exactly been a cup of tea, but I'm working on it. I probably won't be able to have the Windows Xsera working by the time we release the demo, but hopefully by successive demos, it should be alright.

I'll dedicate a topic to the first demo, when it comes around.

I am now soliciting donations to hire a fleet of trucks that will keep adam supplied with cases of vitamin water and orange juice.

Well thank you, but I'm not THAT sick... just a head cold. I should be better before the weekend. I haven't missed any school this week, but I haven't had time to work on Xsera.

Graphics work has been difficult because now I do not have legal access to 3ds Max. I have a tendency to be kicked from school resources because I use them too often.

Haha you bad person... so what, is your school account suspended or something? I don't know how strict or lenient your school is, but since our librarian also has access over the main computer lab, I've made sure to have a good relationship there... can't hurt, if you know what I mean.

@kgb, on Feb 11 2009, 05:20 PM, said in [Xsera] Other Xsera:

I am now soliciting donations to hire a fleet of trucks that will keep adam supplied with cases of vitamin water and orange juice.

Zicam, man. My sister uses it all the time. Good stuff.

Can't wait for the demo 🙂

This post has been edited by redsteven : 13 February 2009 - 01:30 AM

I've found Zicam to be more or less effective. However, that's virtually a moot point now - I feel 90% better*, and my brain isn't half as foggy as yesterday. I'm going to be busy this weekend, unfortunately, so I'm going to see how much time I can schedule in with Alastair. Also, I have next week off, but the problem is that Alastair and I need time working on this as a joint effort. Oh well, something will work out...

*the term '90% better' generally means that I can go back to doing things that I couldn't when I was more sick, yet I'm not fully better yet - I'm mostly there

@dark-revenant, on Feb 11 2009, 10:13 PM, said in [Xsera] Other Xsera:

Graphics work has been difficult because now I do not have legal access to 3ds Max. I have a tendency to be kicked from school resources because I use them too often.

Wait, what graphics work is there to do? I thought this was to be a straight port, meaning all the graphics can be re-used.

Xsera is both a straight port and an upgraded version. Dark.Revenant volunteered to upgrade some of the graphics, including weapons and shields. Both the original graphics and new ones will be available in the game.

It may still be possible to make some of the effects using photoshop (namely, the shields). I'll see what can be done.

Oh, and at my school, 3ds Max is only available in 2 classrooms; to use the software, I have to be enrolled in 3d Computer Animation or be in the "6.5" (after school) class with the same name. I was in both last semester and was in the regular class last year, so this semester I got out of the main class because it was too boring at this point (the same old thing for 2 years in a row... I don't think so) and I was forced out of the after-school class because it overlapped too much with the Academic Team practice day.
I still went in to do some graphics work after school, but since I was there for a good hour every single time, without being enrolled, using a computer slot that someone else actually needed, I basically was given the boot. It's far too late to switch back from being a TA for a really cool teacher to being bored in 3d animation 4, so yeah...

The above is the summary of my unnecessary explanation. The main point is: I'm either going to be pirating 3ds Max or using photoshop after school (my home copy is... pirated. Not like it would make a difference, considering I usually don't have too much home time)

If it makes a difference, I'll have access to 3Ds Max at my school in about a month here when all the work I have to do for our Yearbook is finally finished and my class simply becomes "Graphic Arts 1." I don't know how to use it, but I figure I could learn how to use it very fast.

That said, I have access to the software but not the know-how to use it. <_<

@dark-revenant, on Feb 15 2009, 04:15 PM, said in [Xsera] Other Xsera:

The above is the summary of my unnecessary explanation. The main point is: I'm either going to be pirating 3ds Max or using photoshop after school (my home copy is... pirated. Not like it would make a difference, considering I usually don't have too much home time)

Are there open source alternatives you can use, like Blender and GIMP?

GIMP sucks, in my humble opinion. I can't speak for 3D modelling because I don't have enough experience: what little I have is with Blender, which seemed OK, but Photoshop is a much better bit of kit than GIMP.

Well, I'd point out that the GIMP is also free, whereas Photoshop is around 700 bucks. That explains much of the appeal.

Xsera has no chance to be crappy! Make your port!

Hasn't it already been discovered that Nathon has updated graphics, ones he might release upon the completion of Xsera? I think it's fine if another party whishes to make new graphics too. It can all be handled with plug-ins later, right?

Hm. But knowing you guys, I'm sure this has nothing to do with the production speed of Xsera. 😉

@two-jacks, on Feb 17 2009, 10:43 AM, said in [Xsera] Other Xsera:

Hasn't it already been discovered that Nathon has updated graphics, ones he might release upon the completion of Xsera? I think it's fine if another party whishes to make new graphics too. It can all be handled with plug-ins later, right?

Hm. But knowing you guys, I'm sure this has nothing to do with the production speed of Xsera. 😉

Nathan does have the original 3D models, which could be used to create higher resolution graphics. However, he has not released them, nor has he stated that he intends to do so later, so we are assuming the he will not release them, at least not soon enough to help us out.

Also, Dark.Revenant is only doing weapons and shields (and possibly one other thing, I can't remember), so unless somebody else steps up to do graphics, we're going to have the same ships as the original, until something better comes up.

And yes, the rate at which the graphics are developed will have little-to-nothing to do with the production of Xsera itself.

Upgrade complete.

This post has been edited by adam_0 : 17 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

Adam_0 asked me about the camera/lighting angles on the sprites a while back (well, he asked me to ask Nathan Lamont). Since the matter has come up again (outside of this thread) I'm posting a copy of that email here, for future reference.
Note that the original inquiry sent to Nathan as beneath his actual response.

Subject: Re: Ares X questions
Date: December 22, 2008 4:18:11 PM EST
To: Me

I wish I could say there was a consistent angle for the camera and lighting, and a consistent lens angle, but there wasn't. Some of the objects were rendered almost from directly above, while others were rendered at possibly 45° angle. My guess for the lighting is as good as anyone's. Probably back and to the left.

On Dec 22, on 2008, at 4:03 PM, I wrote:, said:

First off, happy holidays, and thanks again for giving us the opportunity to work on a version of Ares for OS X. One of the developers (adam_0) wanted me to ask you a couple of questions. First, at what angles were the sprites "shot" (angle between object and camera)? Second, what is the angle of the lighting with respect to an object?

I have a .max template with both top-down and angle (angle is preferred) cameras and a light to the back-left. It's my best guess as to the canon's general preferences. Get it HERE. The remaining files are also on my server but aren't terribly useful unless I can make a full set. I only managed to finalize most of the Ishiman effects before the misfortune was placed upon me.

This post has been edited by Dark.Revenant : 18 February 2009 - 02:05 AM

I can't get that file - it comes up as junk on my screen. Could you please zip the file? Thanks.