ARES X

@adam_0, on Oct 29 2008, 10:12 AM, said in ARES X:

Speaking of developers, who wants to work on Ares X? How do we want to collaborate this?

I'm still wondering what level of graphics updating we want to do, because that's what my involvement will be. So, we just need to find out if Nathan is okay with that, and if he is, that's what I will be doing.

@eveningtoast, on Oct 29 2008, 12:05 PM, said in ARES X:

I'm still wondering what level of graphics updating we want to do, because that's what my involvement will be. So, we just need to find out if Nathan is okay with that, and if he is, that's what I will be doing.

The bare bones of this project are to get everything that's original ported to OS X. After that, we can work on other things. I'll probably have a special type of plug for graphical conversions, if Hera doesn't provide for that (assuming I get around to figuring Hera out and NL gives us the Hera code).

@zamzx-zik, on Oct 29 2008, 11:28 AM, said in ARES X:

All of you should take a couple of days to look at the code, and then announce what you want to work on. As long as the code stays updated (I'm assuming sourceforge has some way of letting everyone work on the same build) you can all work on separate bits of the code, helping eachother as needed.

SourceForge has built in CVS support, and I think support for SVN, although I'm not sure about that. But yes, we'll all be able to update the code in unison and work at our own pace on different things.

What I want to know though, is who wants to work on the project? Not exactly who wants to do what, but just who wants to do anything.

You shouldn't worry about that.

People who want to help will come looking for you. Just post here/there/irc if you need anything specific and it will get done. Don't waste time trying to get a headcount 😛

Here's an idea: anybody who wants to do anything with this project, come on IRC (after the code his been released) and we'll figure out how you can help.

@adam_0, on Oct 29 2008, 03:22 PM, said in ARES X:

Here's an idea: anybody who wants to do anything with this project, come on IRC (after the code his been released) and we'll figure out how you can help.

Hmm, it's been a long time since I used IRC, just a refresher here, I need a channel name and I just plop that into the IRC client, right?

I just bounced my way into this topic and I have to say that I'm in full support of this. I'm willing to help out, but port 6667 is blocked at my college, so I can't do much. Good luck though! Ares is an awesome game!

@cippy, on Oct 29 2008, 03:43 PM, said in ARES X:

I just bounced my way into this topic and I have to say that I'm in full support of this. I'm willing to help out, but port 6667 is blocked at my college, so I can't do much. Good luck though! Ares is an awesome game!

If you would like to help, you can contact me via any of the number of ways mentioned on my profile page. I'm on IRC more than any of the IMs, though.

If anyone here was interested in running the ares-data scripts but was put off by the idea of installing PIL and/or MacPorts, then you're in luck; I've updated the README with instructions on how to install PIL with easy_install. Anyone that isn't interested (I assume that's all of you) can safely ignore this message.

This post has been edited by Pallas Athene : 29 October 2008 - 11:29 PM

I have no time to help out, but would love to get the source code once it's been ported :). I do hope your first release is a straight port, no new graphics or features or anything like that.

Guys, a quick note about copyright and the Ares Data files–

I talked briefly with Nathan about the copyright status of the data files, since as was stated earlier, they are not slated to be open-sourced, and there are some legal issues with what I've been doing extracting assets from them. There are a couple of points from that conversation that need to be brought up:

• Right now, we do not have the right to redistribute anything derived from the data files. I am assuming that the sprites and music are excepted from this, since they were produced with his permission, but we should not be trading anything else around. It's alright to use my scripts to extract stuff on your own, but don't ask me to send you the results, and don't send them around yourself; legally, we can't.

• Many of the sounds (excluding the music) were purchased from elsewhere and Nathan doesn't hold the copyright over them. Even if he were to give us freer reign over the data files, he would not be in a position to let us extract and redistribute the sounds.

• The Ares universe itself is sort of a personal matter for Nathan (if you play Starbase Defender, you'll see the Grolk and the Zerbilites make an appearance). He would prefer if a project did not use the "Ares" name per se, but something more like "OpenAres". He was definitely not amenable to people trying to make "Ares 2".

@pallas-athene, on Oct 30 2008, 07:34 PM, said in ARES X:

• Many of the sounds (excluding the music) were purchased from elsewhere and Nathan doesn't hold the copyright over them. Even if he were to give us freer reign over the data files, he would not be in a position to let us extract and redistribute the sounds.

If need be, I can see what access I have to sounds we can use.

@pallas-athene, on Oct 30 2008, 07:34 PM, said in ARES X:

• The Ares universe itself is sort of a personal matter for Nathan (if you play Starbase Defender, you'll see the Grolk and the Zerbilites make an appearance). He would prefer if a project did not use the "Ares" name per se, but something more like "OpenAres". He was definitely not amenable to people trying to make "Ares 2".

So he approves of 'OpenAres,' does he dislike 'AresX'? That's what adam_o set-up on Sourceforge, and what people have been addressing it as so on the boards.

Edited quote, BBCode error.

This post has been edited by eveningtoast : 30 October 2008 - 08:08 PM

@eveningtoast, on Oct 30 2008, 09:04 PM, said in ARES X:

So he approves of 'OpenAres,' does he dislike 'AresX'? That's what adam_o set-up on Sourceforge, and what people have been addressing it as so on the boards.

I don't know; I asked but he hasn't responded.

This post has been edited by Pallas Athene : 30 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

@pallas-athene, on Oct 30 2008, 05:34 PM, said in ARES X:

I talked briefly with Nathan about the copyright status of the data files, since as was stated earlier, they are not slated to be open-sourced, and there are some legal issues with what I've been doing extracting assets from them. There are a couple of points from that conversation that need to be brought up:

• Right now, we do not have the right to redistribute anything derived from the data files. I am assuming that the sprites and music are excepted from this, since they were produced with his permission, but we should not be trading anything else around. It's alright to use my scripts to extract stuff on your own, but don't ask me to send you the results, and don't send them around yourself; legally, we can't.

Ah... so you're made me your partner in crime have you? Well if the cops come, I'll tell them it was your fault...

😛

@pallas-athene, on Oct 30 2008, 06:17 PM, said in ARES X:

I don't know; I asked but he hasn't responded.

I hope he's alright with Ares X, because it does kind of throw a little tribute his way by using that name, and also because I don't know how hard it might be to change the name on SourceForge.

It's definitely good to ask, though.

rudy has gone with xsera.

I second that name.

And only now do I see the significance of that name...

I third it. 🙂

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 30 October 2008 - 10:02 PM

@pallas-athene, on Oct 30 2008, 08:34 PM, said in ARES X:

Good to know. I vote for "OpenAres X" as the name 🙂

BTW, did he mention anything about his progress on releasing the source?

EDIT: after a discussion with rudy... "xsera" isn't so bad a name 🙂

This post has been edited by redsteven : 31 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

@evweb, on Oct 30 2008, 05:33 PM, said in ARES X:

Ah... so you're made me your partner in crime have you? Well if the cops come, I'll tell them it was your fault...

😛

I take full responsibility for this project, if need be. Stand easy, EVWeb.

@zamzx-zik, on Oct 30 2008, 06:52 PM, said in ARES X:

rudy has gone with xsera.

I second that name.

What special meaning does xsera have? Starts like XServe, ends like Hera. Or is that the point?

Try reading it backwards...

Very clever. I never would have guessed. Thanks.