Who wants Ares to be ported to OS X?

Hey, I know Nathan Lamont's email, and I helped beta test his new game, I might be able to get him to allow me to port it... I might not, but hey, its worth a shot.

EVWeb, on Sep 24 2004, 10:45 PM, said:

Hey, I know Nathan Lamont's email, and I helped beta test his new game, I might be able to get him to allow me to port it... I might not, but hey, its worth a shot.
View Post

Best of luck - if you monitored how long it took Contraband to port EV:N to the PC you'll note that it's not something done in a day. While you're staying on the same platform you're going from the classic architecture to the unix-based system of OS-X and it's an entirely different beast.

This is how I think it would happen:

"Hi, I'm Joe Smith from ________ games. We made <insert title> and <insert title> and we're very interested in making a sequel to Ares. We'll pay for the legal rights and give you XX amount of the profits."

That's how you make Ares 2.

This post has been edited by Shrout1 : 25 September 2004 - 12:50 AM

Try! It might be worth it.

We really need Ares II a whole lot more than we need a port..Ares can only continue for so long even with all of the features we have. Ares II, on the other hand...

I feel obligated to state that the Ares probability calculator shown above results in a compile error. Apparently Skyfox and Avatara aren't the ones who should be coding Ares II.

I don't have the patience nor the knowledge to write such a 'big' game right now.

Pallas Athene, on Sep 25 2004, 02:18 PM, said:

I feel obligated to state that the Ares probability calculator shown above results in a compile error. Apparently Skyfox and Avatara aren't the ones who should be coding Ares II.
View Post

Well, if you want to get all technical and demand a program that can be compiled... then

/*Ares 2 Probability calculator
*/

using namespace std;

include <iostream>;

int main()
{
char a; char r; char e; char s; char y;
cout<<"Enter game you want"<<endl;
cin>> a>>r>>e>>s>>y;

if (a=='A' && r=='r' && e=='e' && s=='s' && y=='2')
{
cout<<"Never Happen"<<endl;
}
else
{
cout<<"Will eventualy happen"<<endl;
}

return 0;
}

Take that. But you're right, I wouldn't really care to code a program like Ares 2.

I'd pay $150 for a copy of Ares 2.

We really need Ares II a whole lot more than we need a port..Ares can only continue for so long even with all of the features we have. Ares II, on the other hand...

So why not doing both? Ares II for Os X. If It's to be reprogrammed, one could relatively easy add the stuff needed to make it Ares II.

Sounds good, but we need Nathan's permission first, and we would need a team, not just me, as I'm not that great of a programmer, and it would be a big project.

EVWeb, on Sep 26 2004, 07:18 PM, said:

Sounds good, but we need Nathan's permission first, and we would need a team, not just me, as I'm not that great of a programmer, and it would be a big project.
View Post

So I suggest we ask him. Maybe we'd better create a team first so he doesn't think his game's sequel'll be crappy. edit: And that we can actually make it after we've got permission, rather that having to give up. I think (if at all) he'll grant permission once , and if we wouldn't find a team, it might make a rather bad impression.

So long: Posted Image

This post has been edited by bmac : 26 September 2004 - 01:15 PM

Make sure everyone on the team is dedicated to working on this and meeting deadlines and lots of stress for a period of a couple years, otherwise you'll go halfway and people will drop out like flies experiencing a bugzapper.

Well, y'all will have to count me out of this...even though I would like to be a part of everything, this cludgy computer wouldn't be able to run it, since Ares II is going to be for OS X and all...

Okay, first things first, Anybody wants to be part of the team E-mail me at:
ajwweb@earthlink.net
Also, see if anybody else would be interested in helping out, as we're probably going to need a few people.
Also, I would suggest anybody who wants to join the team,

1. Work on getting good programming skills( if you don't already have them )
  2. Knowing how to program in Objective-C or C++ as we're probably going to program it in one of those two languages
  3. Would be preferable if you have a graphics program and know how to use it.

EVWeb, on Sep 26 2004, 10:48 PM, said:

Okay, first things first, Anybody wants to be part of the team E-mail me at:
ajwweb@earthlink.net
Also, see if anybody else would be interested in helping out, as we're probably going to need a few people.
Also, I would suggest anybody who wants to join the team,

1. Work on getting good programming skills( if you don't already have them )
  2. Knowing how to program in Objective-C or C++ as we're probably going to program it in one of those two languages
  3. Would be preferable if you have a graphics program and know how to use it.
    View Post

I just sent the mail. Maybe we should post in all the other forums and ask the people there if they wanted to join.

I think I might post this on just games, and Ambrosia Banter, but I don't know yet.

I think I might post this on just games, and Ambrosia Banter, but I don't know yet.

Maybe Just Tech could help too.

Perhaps a signed petition could be sent to Nathan Lamont regarding this? How many people actually still play Ares, though?

OK, since I've well and truely messed up 9 I um, sort of really need an OS X Ares. I used to get fixes every other day...

Avatara, on Sep 24 2004, 08:24 PM, said:

Your if statement is wrong. It should be more like:

if((x==Ares2) || (x==CytheraX) || (x==EVMultiplayer) || (x==Ragnorak))
View Post

ahh, but cythera IS getting ported, which makes it different.