New MissionComputer build

@coraxus, on 20 October 2017 - 04:48 PM, said in New MissionComputer build:

Say, anything we could do about the mission-based cargo?

It would be perfectly do-able. I was just never a high enough priority for me to go to the trouble of reading through every associated file and reading all the individual STR resources.

As it is, the code looks for STR# ID = 4000 in the current file (so you could in theory replace the entire list) and then in Nova Data 5.

Personally I would've imagine the gövt icon would take on more of a flag than a crest, but that's just my 2¢.

For me, flags represent the country as a whole, while the coat of arms represents the government specifically. I suppose that may vary depending on where you live.

Not as if it’s ever going to happen either way. 🙂

While we're on the subject of things that'll never happen:

How easily can EV plugs be converted to a mod for an EVlike? Say, Endless Sky?

@scratskinner, on 23 October 2017 - 02:37 AM, said in New MissionComputer build:

How easily can EV plugs be converted to a mod for an EVlike? Say, Endless Sky?

I looked at the Endless Sky format once, and it made a lot of sense, but it was very different in principle from the one we’re familiar with. I don’t remember the details, but I suspect the concepts are too different for a mechanical conversion to do the job.

I haven’t taken a close look at any of the other projects, but there’s no particular reason to expect structural similarity to either EV or ES.

Honestly, having taken a little time to tinker around a tiny bit with the programming for Endless Sky, the architecture for the files isn't even remotely close. ES is built around text files and just rotates a single image instead of a sprite sheet. Taking an EV plug-in and converting it would require an entirely different program than Mission Computer. The logistics of it would be so complicated that you'd be better off opening a file in MC and manually mentally converting it to the Endless Sky format in a text file.

Gotta love the sound import feature. It saves all that convenience of having to enter the Olympics to do all sorts of acrobatic trick just to import the sounds into MC through the conventional manners. However, I did notice the app lags a bit as it imports the file. I assume this is probably were you could install a progress bar so devs don't think MC froze and crashed or something like that.

How long is your sound? It shouldn't lag significantly unless you're importing a music track or something. That said, it does convert the audio file 3 times* before finally importing it into MC. A progress bar wouldn't really be possible — an activity indicator could be done but I'm not likely to make further changes at this point.

• Input > mono uncompressed AIFF > IMA4:1 AIFF (because afconvert doesn't like doing mono IMA4:1 in one go) > 'snd ' resource.

@david-arthur, on 20 August 2017 - 04:27 PM, said in New MissionComputer build:

If there’s a l33t resource in any of the installed plug-ins, the engine automatically converts all text into that ironic ‘l33t h4X0r sp33k’ which was so strangely fashionable in the early 2000s.

You're supposed just link to l33t plugx0r and let him find out himself 🙂

Actually I already encountered that plug-in but could never figure out how it worked since the l33t resource doesn't show up in MC and I no longer have access to Rezilla or RezEdit.

I guess that makes sense then, and the fact that I'm using an old computer.

BTW I discovered a bug of sorts. The color used for one-way links and blank nebula images are the same. So you can imagine the confusion it might have when you have one-way hyperlinks traversing inside a blank-image nebula when editing in the star map.

Attached File MaDmap2.png (25.07K)
Number of downloads: 6Attached File MaDmap.png (26.04K)
Number of downloads: 6
And I'm probably sure you guys can guess what I'm working on. 😛

This post has been edited by Coraxus : 19 December 2017 - 12:46 PM