Open Source TC

So... this still going at all? I used to do some plugin-making years ago, and have picked it up again; would love to get a look at the files here and see if there's anything I can add.

I think the idea was that it would be going on so long as there were people to work on it. If you are working on it, that means yes! It's still going on.

However, if you meant to ask if any of the original people were still working on it, I believe the answer is no. Still no reason you can't look at the files and get us interested in it again.

Hmm, I'm on the list as an inactive developer. I'd be down to work on this but not more than a couple hours a week. I'll look at the files in a bit.

Hmmm.... guess that means I have to learn to use dropbox...

Edit: So I have dropbox now. Anybody want to give any pointers on how I can look at the data from there?

This post has been edited by Hireshmont : 31 December 2011 - 03:28 AM

Log into the Dropbox for the OSTC and add yourself to the shared folder within. (I think?) I'll PM you the username and password for the OSTC Dropbox.

Heh, this project is a god bit dusty right now. Unless someone wiped the files or something (I have complete back-ups), the TC should be playable in the sense you can shoot some ships, land on some planets, and run a ferry passengers mission. It is, of course, far from being completed.

If this gets started up again, I'l gladly throw some contributions to it. What the project needs though is some serious brainstorming. The basic concept is all there, but some details such as what types of ships and weapons the major governments should use is completely in the undecided air.

There are a few planets currently lacking systems, so getting those up to speed would be a good, quick first step.

This post has been edited by JoshTigerheart : 31 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

@joshtigerheart, on 31 December 2011 - 02:32 PM, said in Open Source TC:

Heh, this project is a god bit dusty right now. Unless someone wiped the files or something (I have complete back-ups), the TC should be playable in the sense you can shoot some ships, land on some planets, and run a ferry passengers mission. It is, of course, far from being completed.

If this gets started up again, I'l gladly throw some contributions to it. What the project needs though is some serious brainstorming. The basic concept is all there, but some details such as what types of ships and weapons the major governments should use is completely in the undecided air.

There are a few planets currently lacking systems, so getting those up to speed would be a good, quick first step.

Anybody home? I'd like to try my hand at helping.

I know JacaByte's posted somewhat recently. Perhaps you could PM him?

(I assume you haven't already.)

At any rate, do you already have plans in mind for what you want to do?

I got locked out of my account trying to remember my password here. Doesn't help ASW's email server seems to be down now. But yeah, someone tracked me down to YouTube to alert me to this post.

But anyway, unfortunately, this project has been dead for six or seven years now. It was always an open project though, so I'd be happy to share the files with you. ...well, if I had them. My laptop died about two years ago and, while I was able to salvage most of my stuff from my back-up files, I had a few casualties because File Vault was too busy flipping me the bird to let me get at them. However, if you want, I can try to see if I can't get access to the OSTC email and dropbox and see if the files still exist tomorrow.

Unfortunately, that'll be about all the help I could be, since I don't really have time to do EVN development anymore due to other (and sadly, more relevant) projects on top of Real Life™. Plus I've moved to using Windows and, unless Mission Computer was ever ported to Windows, I'd be stuck with EVNew and I'd really not fancy going to such a downgrade (assuming EVNew even runs on modern systems). Plus losing all the tools I had for converting sounds to the proper format, no longer having access to a registered copy of EVN (dad bought it for my birthday and I don't know what registration credentials he used, not that I could use lostcodes these days anyway), and other stuff like that would really prevent me from operating in any capacity even similar to what I could do back in the day.

Real shame this project never took off. There were a lot of cool concepts for it, like defensive thresholds and police ships.

This post has been edited by JoshTigerheart : 15 November 2017 - 10:34 PM

@joshtigerheart, on 15 November 2017 - 10:27 PM, said in Open Source TC:

... unless Mission Computer was ever ported to Windows...

You may want to take a gander at the topic directly below this one.

Well, that's cool, definitely a big help for any remaining Windows plug-in devs. But it still doesn't fix all the other problems that'd prevent me from doing EVN stuff again.

This post has been edited by JoshTigerheart : 16 November 2017 - 01:49 AM

Understandable. Anyways, if you wanted to make an open source ev nova tc nowadays I'd advise you to make it in Endless Sky and organize it in github.