EVN - Delphi

That could be a ship all on its own, I think. Maybe a small civilian light cruiser, or gunship. Maybe a simple corvette.

@sp3cies, on 20 April 2011 - 03:44 AM, said in EVN - Delphi:

Yes you can. I have two in my plug-in.

Hmm... I do not doubt you, sir. I'm on Win-nova, if it matters - are you on a mac? It's possible I've somehow made multiple stupid mistakes, but every time I've tried entering any value less than 30/sec (+, -, or zero) I've ended up with 30 degrees/second.

Delphi: Kewl. Very nice. I'm just impressed that you've continued to work steadily on the project for years!

@n64mon, on 28 April 2011 - 09:04 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

Hmm... I do not doubt you, sir. I'm on Win-nova, if it matters - are you on a mac? It's possible I've somehow made multiple stupid mistakes, but every time I've tried entering any value less than 30/sec (+, -, or zero) I've ended up with 30 degrees/second.

I'm sorry I was a little short with that last reply, I meant to say you can have ships with zero turn.
You might be right about the 30°/sec thingy though, never checked into that.

There aren't enough science vessels in this universe yet, and a lot of the science designs are also supposed to be ones that the Enclave rips off to create their warships. Ergo, here's a scientific cutter vessel with an in-built scanning array. A lot of the science ships will be "science-spec'd" in that they'll carry unique non-removable upgrades specific to certain hull classes. This one will have a VERY powerful interference remover. Others may have more powerful multi-jump engines than conventional craft (scientific scouts), or even experimental weaponry. Generally speaking, large science vessels will share a lot in common with their NDC fleet counterparts, but usually with a distinct shift from offence to defence. More shields and armour than guns.

Posted Image

Oh, and science ships from either the Enclave or the NDC fleet automatically repair hull damage slowly over time. Kind of comes with the territory when everybody on board is a qualified engineer, metallurgical chemist, or physicist. For players more interested in performing long missions without a lot of support or even the presence of populated planets, these ships are for you.

Ooh, hull regen. Nice. I also recognize the section you showed us previously in there. I'm guessing that's part of the sensor array. Are the wing-like struts also part of the sensor array?

@darthkev, on 05 May 2011 - 12:30 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

Ooh, hull regen. Nice. I also recognize the section you showed us previously in there. I'm guessing that's part of the sensor array. Are the wing-like struts also part of the sensor array?

Actually, the sensor array is in the wing-struts. The incorporation of the previous model forms the vessel's forward cannons. It may be a science ship, but EVERYTHING made by the NDC carries at least a modicum of firepower. Really though, they're not overtly impressive. This ship is just really small, weighing in just short of the Kevilan in size.

Ah, so this one is an AK-47 with radar. 😉

@darthkev, on 05 May 2011 - 07:12 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

Ah, so this one is an AK-47 with radar. 😉

If you're a CoD player, than an AK-47 with a heartbeat sensor.

I'm still alive. Don't worry.

Working on some new 3D models.

@delphi, on 04 June 2011 - 11:15 AM, said in EVN - Delphi:

I'm still alive. Don't worry.

Working on some new 3D models.

I don't suppose you're doing science, too? 😛

This post has been edited by king_of_manticores : 05 June 2011 - 12:38 AM

@king_of_manticores, on 05 June 2011 - 12:38 AM, said in EVN - Delphi:

I don't suppose you're doing science, too? 😛

Turns out, the cake wasn't so much a lie so far as it was just a miscommunication. It was actually a Betty Crocker Scrumptious Apple Crumble.

I told you guys I'd make something.

This is the (Name Pending - Didn't Like). It is a cruiser-sized vessel used by both the NDC and the Enclave. In a rare turn of events, the chassis of the (Name Pending) was actually designed by Enclave engineers first, unlike many of their other counterfeit NDC designs. The ship's effectiveness was eventually understood by NDC architects, so they went to great pains attempting to capture even just basic layout schematics of the craft for their own use. As a result, the Enclave and NDC variants are completely different in shields, armor, and armament.

Posted Image

I've not completely finished the design. Although this is a good "checkpoint" model, I would really like to add an underslung hull beneath the ship.

This post has been edited by Delphi : 17 June 2011 - 04:13 AM

I SHALL DUB THEE SCORPONOK!

Amazing to see the steady progress on this project for three years and counting. Hats off to Delphi, who has to be one of the most dedicated developers I've seen on the interwebs so far.

Can't wait to play it someday, and if there's anything non-graphics-related I can contribute to the project just let me know.

Just randomly popped into my head, but perhaps Escutcheon?

Its definition doesn't really fit what you were going for (it's a shield with a coat of arms on it), but it sounds like an intriguing name regardless.

I'm with Templar98921. Some variant of scorpion would be best. You could try Scorpio (zodiac constellation). Or maybe something more esoteric. Hang on...

looks into encyclopedia

The Arizona bark scorpion's scientific name is Centruroides sculpturatus.

Reminds me of:

Posted Image
and
Posted Image
(Images are wikipedia links)

This post has been edited by Technomancer : 19 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

@starsword, on 19 June 2011 - 07:12 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

I'm with Templar98921.

You think all of Delphi's ships should be named after Beast Wars-Era Transformers?

@templar98921, on 19 June 2011 - 11:33 PM, said in EVN - Delphi:

You think all of Delphi's ships should be named after Beast Wars-Era Transformers?

No, I'm just saying the name fits in this case. As the poet says, if the boot fits, wear it.

This post has been edited by StarSword : 20 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

Here I am, minding my own business, admiring another beautiful build from Delphi, and I come upon this:

@templar98921, on 17 June 2011 - 03:07 AM, said in EVN - Delphi:

I SHALL DUB THEE SCORPONOK!

Funny as hell, but I nearly fell out of my chair it was so unexpected.

Back to the design, it reminds me more of a crab than a scorpion. No tail, see, and a very short body. Perhaps the Dungeon class?

How about Brachyura?