EVN - Delphi

That is a gorgeous ship Delphi. Your graphical talent has got to have some Real World™ applications for when your done with EVN Delphi.

QUOTE (king_of_manticores @ Jun 8 2010, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I smell a Thunderforge reference here. 😉

I actually tried making something resembling a Thunderforge out of these pieces, and this is what I got:

** Edit:** The old image has been updated with the latest version of the 'Python' Class Battleship.

It looks like a toad, not pretty. I'm still revising it.

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 09 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

@DarthKev
All your designs have giant laser cannons. What the heck 😛

QUOTE (king_of_manticores @ Jun 8 2010, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

@DarthKev
All your designs have giant laser cannons. What the heck 😛

Not to sound harsh, but that statement is UTTERLY WRONG. 😛

I give you, in order, the Basilisk Class Carrier, the Condor Class Freighter (which is more of a large corvette), the Falcon Class Interceptor, the Snakeskin Class Bomber, and the Wasp Class Light Fighter. While they all have visible weapons of some kind (minus the Condor) none have oversized death beams or whatever. And no, I haven't been hiding these, they've all been on public display in my Sketchup Gallery which I've linked to in two other topics.

@DarthKev
True, true, but I'm not condemning you or anything, I'm simply giving my approval. In fact, it's not even approval anymore. It's flipping encouragement. Because laser batteries are awesome. The more the merrier, I say 😛

Your ships are pretty cool. I like how the Basilisk is very reminiscent of the Aurora Carrier, the Condor like a Kestrel, and the Snakeskin a beefed-up version of an Abomination.

QUOTE (king_of_manticores @ Jun 9 2010, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like how the Basilisk is very reminiscent of the Aurora Carrier, the Condor like a Kestrel, and the Snakeskin a beefed-up version of an Abomination.

The first two were intentional, but I was going for an old WWII Bomber feel with the Snakeskin. The wasp, however, was inspired by EVN's Viper. Specifically, the Rebel Viper, though it turned out looking more like a Fed Viper.

Also, I think I've got my rendition of the Thunderforge down. I had to 'clip its wings' but it looks alright. The above shot of it has been updated with the new one. I'm naming it the Python. Furthermore, I couldn't come up with a logical explanation for the 'flippers' on the rear of the Basilisk, so that screenshot has been updated, too.

** Edit:** Oh, Delphi, if you want to use anything I make, let me know and I'll give you a link to the model. Same goes for anyone here. However, you'll have to do the texturing yourself. I'm having problems converting models for texturing, so I can't do it myself.

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 09 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

Here's a freighter to ply the space-ways, gloriously chunky and ugly as a dog. It probably won't actually end up in the game. It's just my fall-back model in case I can't design a mid-size freighter that I like.

Ugly? How can you call that ugly? It looks like a corvette lathed onto cargo pods... okay, yeah, ugly. But it's not bad, I like it. I'd even fly it if it turns up in the game. And that cruiser you posted the other day looks like a hammerhead shark... sort of.

Bottom line, you rock man! 🙂

Normally, I'd say that's an ugly piece of crap and I wouldn't fly it (no offense to anyone here, but that's what I think of the Cambrian and Sprite). However, its level of detail is so awesome that I actually wouldn't mind flying that thing.

You do a good job of convincing me, Delph 😛

Dogs aren't ugly, and neither is that, it is a masterful piece of work! I like it!

Also, King of Manticores, whenever I see your name, I imagine the king of all cosmos from katamari damaci... Just saying......

QUOTE (king_of_manticores @ Jun 10 2010, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Normally, I'd say that's an ugly piece of crap and I wouldn't fly it (no offense to anyone here, but that's what I think of the Cambrian and Sprite).

But the Cambrian was actually really good if you gave it sigma speed upgrades and stuff. Besides it was INERTIALESS and inertialessness is fun!

QUOTE (of doom @ Jun 11 2010, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But the Cambrian was actually really good if you gave it sigma speed upgrades and stuff. Besides it was INERTIALESS and inertialessness is fun!

Yeah, but it was modeled after a trilobite. Not the most attractive of ships.

@of doom
Excluding the inertialessness of the Cambrian (how is inertialessness not a word???), one could also say the same of, say, a Manticore 😛

(shameless self-promotion, I know)

Trilobites are awesome! I do hope to see that freighter in-game, Delphi.

It took me long enough, but I finally got around to designing a "standard" cruiser for the NDC, much like the Federation Destroyer from Nova.

The Monolith is the primary icon of power across NDC space; a slate-like artillery cruiser that looms ominously over the worlds it defends as a great black shadow in the sky. It is a multipurpose craft, equipped with long range anti-ship primary guns, and defensive turrets to ward off fighter attacks. Its oversized cargo bay makes it perfect for moving large amounts of equipment between planets, or as a garrison for troops in transit to an invaded world. Though not as powerful as many of the larger heavy cruisers, carriers, or dominants, it is arguably the most balanced of any NDC vessel. Because of its versatility, the Monolith is produced in far greater number than any other Direct Combat (DC) cruiser.

Up next: I'm going to try my best to get started on the Enclave ships.

After all the other ships you've made, Delph, that one looks really measly compared to the rest 😛

So is it technically the Starbridge of the military--you know, easily modifiable to most purposes?

Measly? I don't think so. That thing looks very powerful and exactly what I would expect of a workhorse cruiser.

I'm liking the reference in the description (and the appearance, actually). What scale is this in comparison to other ships?

It does look like it would have slightly less grunt than the other ships. I would expect it from the description to look slightly more intimidating. Still looks good.

This post has been edited by Technomancer : 12 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

The first thing I noticed is it looks a lot like the Anaconda I designed. Remove the missile bays on the front, place additional shielding on the sides of the heavy cannons, and add a ton more detail, and boom. An Anaconda has turned into a Monolith. I'm sure it's a coincidence, but it's just what I noticed. 😉

I like it, looks just like how I'd imagine a balanced warship to look. Long enough to enable balanced artillery weapons, thin and flat enough to present a small target when enemies come at it from behind or head-first, and it's sleek and stylish enough to pull off looking like the sports car of warships.

I agree with Technomancer and KoM. It just doesn't look intimidating enough, IMO.