EVN - Delphi

Heh. Technically, the bow of the ship is facing down and to the left in the picture above, but I never considered the idea of them flying the other way. I might re-tool the model a bit.

Heck, I could even just take this as inspiration for another ship, and keep this one as well as creating a different model with wings at the back and a completely different body.

QUOTE (StarSword @ Jun 6 2010, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like it too, though I'm a little surprised that you have only one fighter in Delphi with a single crewman.

Consider many modern-day fighter jets. They are several times smaller than the vehicles in Delphi, and yet many of them are crewed by at least two people or at least have a second seat for a passenger. Once you get up to a size scale such as what would be required to properly wage warfare in space, it wouldn't probably be unusual to find a fighter with a crew of at least three, if not more. The Scimitar, the toughest fighter in the game, has a crew of five.

For additional comparison, the M1A1 Abrams tank has a crew of four: a commander, a gunner, a loader, and a driver. For a starfighter like the Scimitar, the roles would likely be that of a commander, a gunner, a navigator, an engineer, and a helmsman.

Well, you guys convinced me. I now have two versions of the Daybreaker fighter: one for NDC use, and one for the Enclave. They are more or less the same ship chassis, but with noticeable differences. The Coalition variant shows exactly what the NDC stands for: sheer intimidating power and rugged durability, while the Enclave version is more refined and sleek (as far as chunky starships go).

QUOTE (king_of_manticores @ Jun 6 2010, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DarthKev, I think the bow isn't facing the viewer.

Get your names right. That was StarSword, not me. 😛

I like the fighter, Delphi, it's much better than the few I've put together. I especially like the cockpit you put together. Can I get a tutorial on how to do that for my smaller craft? The best I've come up with is using the Angle-Cut Strut, widening it and shortening it to make a cockpit window. For one series of fighter, it acts as most of the body.

Oh, sorry. You two have highly similar avatars. I'm on a fail roll today 😛

Pretty nice work, Delph. So what are the major differences between the two, apart from aesthetics?

QUOTE (king_of_manticores @ Jun 6 2010, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what are the major differences between the two, apart from aesthetics?

There won't be too much difference between the two as far as gameplay goes, but the Enclave version is a little bit more maneuverable, albeit suffering from lower shields. Basically, the Enclave version is the closest to the original Daybreaker that I described above; almost the Delphi equivalent of a TIE fighter.

Here's a bit of a SketchUp beauty shot (that's a contradiction in terms, I know) showing the Daybreaker in an invisible hangar alongside the larger heavy fighter, which I haven't yet named. I decided that I like the idea of variable geometry on the heavy fighter, allowing it to fold its outboard pylons downward for landing. Of course, this is only a small aesthetic detail, because that has no application for sprites.

The small black figures in the image are people.

QUOTE (Delphi @ Jun 6 2010, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... in an invisible hangar...

Invisible hangars?! That's genius! You can stick a hangar on a gunship and no one would know! 😛

Edit: Strike that bit earlier about a tutorial on building fighter cockpits, I found the part in the heavy fighter and I'm pretty sure I can make something similar myself.

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 06 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

Oh my goodness, those are both so beautiful, all three actually! I love the Enclave's fighter, and the NDC one is terrifying. And that heavy fighter...... oh wow. It is a good thing they are just fighters, otherwise.......

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Jun 6 2010, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Invisible hangars?! That's genius! You can stick a hangar on a gunship and no one would know! 😛

Edit: Strike that bit earlier about a tutorial on building fighter cockpits, I found the part in the heavy fighter and I'm pretty sure I can make something similar myself.

Yeah, sorry I forgot to include it as one of the primary ship components. When I was building the heavy fighter, I salvaged the piece from what was supposed to be a different fighter altogether.

Well, I'm finished. You can find it here. Just add it to the folder of other parts Delphi made and you're set.

Delphi, as you can probably see, I used you cockpit design as a base of sorts, and then altered it from there to suit my needs. I got some inspiration from the bodies of the Auroran Firebird and Phoenix.

Just a quick pre-render screenshot from SketchUp, with a photoshop backdrop for effect. Makes the ships look good together, I think.

I see you've got fighter fever, Delphi. You said you textured them in Sketchup? Maybe I should try that until I figure out how to properly import my models into Blender for texturing.

Also, any chance we could get a desktop-size version of that image? Even pre-render, those fighters are beautiful!

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Jun 7 2010, 04:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see you've got fighter fever, Delphi. You said you textured them in Sketchup? Maybe I should try that until I figure out how to properly import my models into Blender for texturing.

Also, any chance we could get a desktop-size version of that image? Even pre-render, those fighters are beautiful!

There's not one texture in that picture. The ships are just colored flat like the shots above, with SketchUp shadows turned on. I know, it's strange that they actually look decent.

I'll see what I can do about getting you a desktop pic. I'm on the road right now, but when I get back to my computer I'll whip something up.

Not sure what to call this vicious-looking vessel yet. I'm thinking it'll fit in nicely with the enclave ships as a sleek destroyer. For now I've settled on 'Anaconda', and I'll probably end up using it in HOTS if it isn't used in Delphi, but I thought I'd give Delphi a chance to look it over. Here's the Sketchup file, Delphi, in case you decide to use it.

@DarthKev
Looks like it's got six lasers that could do quite a terrible amount of damage to even dreadnoughts. iLike. 😄

QUOTE (king_of_manticores @ Jun 8 2010, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

@DarthKev
Looks like it's got six lasers that could do quite a terrible amount of damage to even dreadnoughts. iLike. 😄

It looks like some sort of computer cord adapter. 🙂

@Odie
It's funny because it's true :laugh:

A mid-range cruiser used by both the Enclave and the NDC.

:expletive deleted: YEAH! That is an awesome ship! Look at those Cannons! I bet you could kill whatever you wanted with those!
To use a Ev-nova.net reference. That is a monica clintoning cool ship!

But seriously, that ship looks fantastic! It looks like it would hit Mike Tyson in the face and then laugh at him.

I smell a Thunderforge reference here. 😉

You always use the same parts and the same brutish designs, Delphi, but it's amazing that you never cease to amaze me. Every ship you churn out has recycled parts here and there, and yet I'm still left impressed.