EVN Map Editor

QUOTE (David Arthur @ May 25 2010, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but I don't really see the point since the difference would be entirely aesthetic.

ok. i'm a designer, so form and function go hand in hand to me.

None of this is motivated by the buffering system; in fact, I don't even do any special buffering on Mac OS X (I only recently reactivated my Mac OS 9-era buffering code to prevent flickering in the experimental Windows version). Refreshes are cheap on Mac OS X, as the new zooming effect proves.

that's why i love core animation. it leverages everything it does by the fact that it's running on quartz.

I suppose I'm avoiding refreshes by calling on the Drag Manager, but that wasn't my reason for using it. And apart from the fact that I haven't yet implemented scrolling when you reach the edge of the screen, I don't see how functionality is affected.

i'd say it only affects the end user who may be used to that UI interaction. ie Finder, Photoshop, etc

EV Nova 's zoom feature is quantised, so mine is too. Since this is an editor for an existing game rather than an original programme, one of my key goals has been to precisely replicate the appearance in the original game's map window — next on the list is to mimic its government borders rather than just re-colouring the systems.

again, this may just annoy the user. i'd make it a slider, and if you have to, add major increments of the Nova zoom levels.

The zoom effect, on the other hand, is pure showing off. 🙂

lol, really?

Perhaps it's improved in recent versions, but in my experience Refresh does not work as advertised, no matter what parameters you pass.

i'd say they redid it when they added a doubleBuffer to the canvas to stop the windows users complaining to them. RB kept telling them to implement their own doubleBuffers, but they kept complaining.

Oh, you replace the buffer if the window is resized — still faster and less memory-intensive than creating them constantly,

haha, yeah. i keep forgetting the RB event model. which is odd, because it's the only reason i like RB..... they need to make RealCocoa. actually, that's not a bad idea.

Can I volunteer to test for you, DA? Please?

Don't worry, if there's anything worth testing it will show up in this forum fairly promptly.

quick update
saving is underway
there's just too many ways of implementing it
might put up a few branches for testing

QUOTE (StarSword @ May 15 2010, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And let's face it: who ever uses Solaris? I'm only even aware of it by reputation; don't know anybody who uses it or ever has.

One of my friends is a professional computer programmer who operates a private consulting practice out of Chapel Hill, NC. He says that there are essentially two different types of programming languages: those written by engineers, and those written by teachers. Java is the latter; C, C++ and VisualBasic are the former. Using an engineering language is more difficult for the designer, but gives more options, and generally gives a superior result (in my experience).

Virtually all programming languages were designed by engineers. Java and Visual Basic are simple, less powerful languages because they were designed to sacrifice power and efficiency for a low barrier of entry. An incompetent programmer can write functional Java or VB, but you wouldn't want to let him near a C compiler. On the other hand, an experienced programmer will implement the same functionality more quickly in Java, but it would run faster in C. Of course, that same experienced programmer would have gotten the job done faster yet in Ruby, Python, or Scheme, which might be too conceptually complex for the incompetent programmer.

Java's a poor language because it requires absurd verbosity to emulate high-level constructs and because its type system is a mess (primitives, no generic types, etc.). C# is basically Java done right.

And yes, people still use Solaris, though I'm not quite sure why. I suspect that Sun will try to market it in concert with Oracle in the future as a single-vendor managed stack (perhaps with Java as the default "glue" language). Oracle is fast; Oracle with direct kernel support could be frighteningly so.

This is awesome. Hopefully you guys can get a good replacement going soon.

I've linked to this topic and the Google Code project from the first post of the EVN Cartographer is dead topic, so hopefully anyone searching about Cartographer will see that and come here.

QUOTE (Tycho @ May 14 2010, 02:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's currently written in RealBasic. This is just a prototype of an idea. I'm just figuring out the logistics of the rez file format and such at the moment. The plan is to rewrite for whatever platforms that need it the most, as natively as possible. ie mac: obj-c&cocoa, win:c++&.net, lin: c&sdl

I'm going to watch this project, and see what it looks like when it leaves RealBasic.