Ship design contest

::counters by making a ship with a faster, 1 damage homing weapon that also moves very quickly to screw up the turret tracking::

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Mar 12 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you really need a second weapon, you may use ID 351.

<snip>

I was going to say this could unbalance things, until I realized it still has to fit with the 1,000 point limit. In essence, making multiple weapons for your ship will just take from everything else, something you may not want to do considering how precious little you have.

This post has been edited by darthkev : 13 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

Update: Negative inaccuracy (read: Fires at fixed angle) is not allowed. Documentation changed to reflect this.

Edit: note that although I’m still allowing flags related to passing over or being decoyed by asteroids, and ignoring system interference, those don’t actually help because the Battlefield system has neither asteroids nor interference.

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 13 March 2010 - 10:17 PM

~~On windows, using WinZip, the text files are semi-corrupt. I believe the general consensus is that rtf work best. Could you post the text here, or email them to azdaraatgmaild0tc0m

Thanks!~~
EDIT: worked fine when I opened it in Word.

SECOND EDIT: All my other questions were answered in the Instructions document.

Best of luck to all!

This post has been edited by n64mon : 16 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

For ammo, do weapons with unlimited ammo double every point value in the wëap resource, or just the guidance type?

QUOTE (darthkev @ Mar 22 2010, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For ammo, do weapons with unlimited ammo double every point value in the wëap resource, or just the guidance type?

The entire cost of the weapon is doubled.

I'm going to have to load up EVula.com for the first time in forever so i can remember whats a reasonable shield value.

Is this still going on? Has anyone even submitted anything yet? I just realized I still have the folder sitting on my desktop and haven't really done much with it yet.

I imagine people are avoiding talking about what they're submitting for fear of everyone else devising a countermeasure.

That much is obvious, but I'm merely wondering if I should bother to continue work on this.

It is still going on. I have been extremely busy with schoolwork, and will continue to be so until the end of April.

So far I have received one submission, which did not follow the rules. I did my best to make the ship design as simple as possible, so it shouldn’t be hard to make a ship and weapon. The easiest way is to divvy up your 1,000 points, so you pick how many points you want to put into each field. Then you can simply calculate what values to pick to use that many points. It shouldn’t be difficult.

If I have time, I will make a 1,000-point ship that people can use to try out their own designs against.

I intended to submit one, but busy is as busy does. There's still time. Lazy powers activate!

I sort of have the opposite problem.

I have two designs I'm looking at as possible submissions, and their strategies are different enough that I can't reconcile the two into a single design.

They've been effectively complete for weeks now, but I've been delaying on making a decision.

If you can't decide which is more effective, then I suggest going for whichever one is closer to what you yourself would be willing to (or would like to) fly. Basically, go with the one that's more 'you'.

wooosh

You've got mail Qaanol ^^

Two legitimate entries have been received.

Hi there Qaanol.

How will the ships enter combat? Will they be sitting in the system? Will they jump in from hyperspace?

QUOTE (Capt. Radio Willy @ Apr 24 2010, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi there Qaanol.

How will the ships enter combat? Will they be sitting in the system? Will they jump in from hyperspace?

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Mar 12 2010, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ship_Design_Contest.zip

I believe this is answered in the first post.

One round has one of each of the contestants starting on stations equally distant from the center of the system.
The second round has one of each of the contestants jump in randomly.

The third round has two of each of the contestants placed in system, one on a station, and the other jumping in randomly.

The attachment Qaanol provided will let you see for yourself how the battles will be run.

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 24 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (Eugene Chin @ Apr 24 2010, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe this is answered in the first post.

One round has one of each of the contestants starting on stations equally distant from the center of the system.
The second round has one of each of the contestants jump in randomly.

The third round has two of each of the contestants placed in system, one on a station, and the other jumping in randomly.

The attachment Qaanol provided will let you see for yourself how the battles will be run.

Thank you.

I will be submitting an entry tomorrow.