Clavius rEVisited

Sounds like a plan. And if it's good enough, I know how to export and import text resources with EVNEW these days, so I won't have to scrap what I've already done other than the dëscs. I'll get to it tomorow though. It's after 2300 here and I want to be well-rested for work.

Ok, yet another apology. I've been too fried from work to get anything done on this. I'm sorry folks. I'll eventually get some more done. Derakon, I hope you happen to have an artistic burst and do some more ships for us. If not, it's ok. But whatever happens, this is not vaporware.

@zaxted, on Apr 19 2007, 07:42 PM, said in Clavius rEVisited:

Hello all :rolleyes:

First of all, sorry for my poor english... Ten years after, my english is not better (may be worse 😉 ).
I say "ten years after" because I'm the main author of Clavius (the guy who signed "DYNA Systems").
I'm sorry to find this topic just now because I could have helped for this new version of my "old baby" because I still have some Infini-3D stuff (ships and outfits).

Thank you very much to all people who made Clavius live again !

Amazing -- hi Zaxted -- remember me? Great to see you back on EV.

Martin Turner

Ok, good news. Restored some backups and went through and updated syst coords to work with rEVisited. Next task is matching up old-style planet sprites with new rEVisited ones. Please note that I will just make the Clavius rEVisited plug point to the data within rEVisited for this, as it would be counterproductive to put the data into a plug that is designed strictly to work with rEVisited.

No real progress to report. Real life bit me hard and hasn't let go in quite some time. I have to get a better job than working at an Arby's. Seriously.

Ok, just started to try to go back to this, and I can't. EVNEW is crashing every time I try to open a pict resource. Has no problem with RLEDs, but it's barfing on picts. I don't know what's going on, but it's pissing me off. I wanted to make some actual progress on this.

EDIT: If anyone has an old iMac or something that'll run OS 9, or at least OS 8.1 (the minimum for Nova) that they'd care to part with. I'd appreciate a contact at this point.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 28 March 2008 - 12:31 PM

Huh, that problem with EVNEW sounds familiar... I think it's been solved somewhere on the boards before. Hang on, let me go searching...

Edit: Bingo, except that it never got solved. Hmm... My suggestion is to downgrade QT to version 7.0.3 if the version you're using is higher than that, but uninstalling QT can be a royal pain in the butt, I'll warn you.

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 28 March 2008 - 12:51 PM

Downgrading really isn't much of an option. If I do, I can't watch streaming video within Second Life, and as often as not, I'm the guy hosting movie night for a group I'm in there, so I have to be able to watch to make sure it's working correctly. Damn...

At least I'm only using QT Lite, though. Much easier to work with than a full quicktime install.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 29 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

Belthazar pointed out in another thread that you might be missing additional QT components which are required to view picts. Try installing the Internet Extras and Still Image components for QT if you haven't already using these instructions.

It seems unlikely that I am missing such components. After all, wouldn't Nova crash on me if I was?

Could you go to Mission Computer instead?

MC is strictly for Macs only. I should press David Arthur a little harder to make MC 4 compatible with Windows XP...

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize he was running windows.

Last I heard he was working on a very early stage one that would, but I haven't heard any progress in a long time, and once again, ev-nova.net is down. It's frelling annoying.

Ok, update. Having been so far unable to figure out how in either Borland C++ Builder or MSVC Express to link the EVNEW project against the necessary quicktime and Windows common control dialog dll, I have just acquired a bright orange pre-intel G3 iMac with OS9 on it. It is not yet set up, but I expect I will soon be making some progress on Clavius rEVisited, even if all I use is Resedit and Nova Tools.

Even the dilapidated beige G3 tower sitting behind me can run Mission Computer; I'm sure you won't have to go to such extremes...

Probably not. I am, however, going to have to install OSX. I can't install a decent web browser even with it upgraded OS 9.2.2. Best I've managed so far is netscape 4.79, and it's too old to render any but the most straightforward web pages correctly. And be damned if I'm going to use IE even on a Mac. (It came with IE 4.5... shudder)

Probably the best browser you can get for OS 9 is iCab.

But will it render current webpages correctly?

On good days, it will, but my experience is that IE 4 is as good as it gets on a Mac running OS 9. iCab is too slow to do even simple tasks with, I've found...