Slight Bug with Mission Computer

Scrolling stops working.

I really should have said something about this a long time ago...

I've found that if I copy and paste resources between files or even just change the names of a few resources by getting info on said resource, the scrolling stops working.

By this I mean that i can't use my trackpad to scroll. I can grab the scroll bar or click on the scroll buttons just fine, but the trackpad is more convenient. I can fix this simply by quitting and restarting the program.

Is this a known bug or am I the only one to experience this? If it is a known bug, is there a fix or patch for it and where can I get it? If this is the first report of such a bug, is there a way to fix it other than quitting Mission Computer and starting it back up again?

I have reported this problem before, and I think a couple others have too. Haven't heard of anything to fix it. I believe David Arthur said something about not being able to fix it. Might be wrong though.

Yes, I've heard of this before (though as I don't use a scroll wheel myself, I can't easily test it).

I can tell you that MissionComputer responds to scroll messages in the same way regardless of what tasks you've performed on the open file. The problem, therefore, must be occurring at the point where these messages are sent out, which is beyond my control. One possibility that has occurred to me is that it might be possible to circumvent this by having MissionComputer take more control over scrolling than is strictly its responsibility, but it will take some experimentation to find whether this works (and without causing further problems).

There are two things I'd be interested to know, if you keep experiencing this problem. First, you mention both the Get Info command, and pasting (which can also result in a pop-up window): is it possible that the issue is tied to whether pop-up sheet windows have appeared in the document window? Second, have you ever lost scrolling in the star map editor, or is it limited to the document window only?

Yes, scrolling works if a pop-up window doesn't appear. And when scrolling stops working, it's throughout the program. Anywhere you could scroll, you no longer can with a scrollwheel/trackpad.

QUOTE (darthkev @ Oct 15 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And when scrolling stops working, it's throughout the program. Anywhere you could scroll, you no longer can with a scrollwheel/trackpad.

Hmm... if the problem is affecting the star map editor as well, I'm afraid it's almost certainly happening at a level beyond my control.

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Oct 15 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I've heard of this before (though as I don't use a scroll wheel myself, I can't easily test it).

In case you want to test it, I would suggest this piece of software, Keyboard Maestro. It is not free software, but you can download it and use it as long as you want without paying for it (though it'll start nagging you after 30 days or 30 hours of use or something like that).
http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/
It has a lot of other uses, but the relevant thing here is, you could bind a keyboard command (e.g. cmd-opt-ctrl-shift-downarrow) to simulate the scroll wheel for debugging purposes.