requesting a plug...

can someone make a plug which makes TBRLs secondary weapons? This would make dealing with fighters much easier without losing all your jump power!

Well I did but now I can't attach it to the post and I have no time for any other solution before I must go to work.

Done. Use the plugin I attached.Attached File TBRL_Second.zip (364bytes)
Number of downloads: 1

For whatever reason, you can't upload uncompressed plug-ins here, and you have to compress them.

The architecture of the plug files doesn't react well to uncompressed web transfer. Tends to corrupt the data beyond usability.

QUOTE (krugeruwsp @ Oct 12 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The architecture of the plug files doesn't react well to uncompressed web transfer. Tends to corrupt the data beyond usability.

is that a cross platform thing or a bad transfer thing kinda like how if you send an attachment more than once it corrupts

It's less of a cross-platform thing and more to do with the architecture of the data that Nova uses. The Mac version uses the resource fork of the files, which is very touchy and does not travel uncompressed very well at all. The Windows version uses the data fork (since Windows computers do not recognize a resource fork,) but the .rez files that WinNova uses still don't particularly like uncompressed web transfer. Simply use a compression program like WinZip, WinRAR, or even the built-in .zip support with either Mac or Windows. Stuffit is another popular compression program, and the only one that effectively can compress and expand .sit and .sitx archives, but is also somewhat unwieldy and unreliable on Windows. There are, however, dozens of free programs that can handle .zip archives, and that is the most universally cross-platform compatible compression format.

QUOTE (krugeruwsp @ Oct 14 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Mac version uses the resource fork of the files, which is very touchy and does not travel uncompressed very well at all.

The resource fork isn't really touchy as such. It's just that non-Macintosh systems don't understand it, and therefore tend to delete it. As long as you stick to Macintosh computers and protocols – or even a few server versions of Windows and other systems that are designed to support Macintosh clients – there's very little you can do that will damage it.

Compression deals with the problem simply because all modern compression formats use a single-fork structure, but that wasn't always the case. Old versions of StuffIt, designed before Internet transfer became popular, stored information in the archive's resource fork, which is why (back in the days of the original Escape Velocity ) plug-ins compressed into .sit, needed the archive file to be subsequently encoded into .hqx or .bin.

Ah. I stand corrected. Thanks!

Oh, I remember wondering about the .sit.bin and .sit.hqx when I used to download plugs for EVC.

QUOTE (peko @ Oct 15 2009, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I remember wondering about the .sit.bin and .sit.hqx when I used to download plugs for EVC.

Yes, it was annoying having to deal with the two stages, even after DropStuff became able to both more or less at once. At least .bin didn't increase the file size, the way that .hqx did. For all the inconvenience that it caused when Aladdin redesigned the .sit format, it was definitely nice that the newer version could be posted online without any further encoding.