NAEV

Game heavily inspired by EV

Hello,

I'm a big fan of EV. I played more then the recommended dose when I was a kid. Back then I was using Mac OS 7 and friends. I also tried EV:O a bit but wasn't as big of a fan and never got into EV:N. Ten years later I have an urge to return to my roots, but time has changed and I'm no longer on Mac OS, nor a young kid that could barely make a working plugin. Issue was I'm on Linux and wanted to try my hand at doing something more complicated. Thus I began on a project to create a game heavily inspired by EV without being EV. I recall with great affection all my battles in my rebel cruiser and set off to work on this project.

The results? Quite a few years later I have a fully working game, albeit missing quite a few features. While I may be a decent coder, neither stories nor modelling are my strong point. I managed to avoid the entire model issue with open source models I managed to scrape off other projects. On the stories and outfits parts? Well I managed to write up quite a few things that are OK, but more would be needed.

I've heard that there are no plans of making more Escape Velocity games and that combined with that fact that last release I managed to get a Mac OS X (Intel) binary, I have come here since I hope this is worth your attention. You can find stuff at:

http://code.google.com/p/naev/

All the code, models, data, stories, etc... are open source. Thank you for your attention.

bobbens

This post has been edited by bobbens : 28 February 2009 - 02:21 PM

The Mac version doesn't even launch for me.

Late 2008 Unibody MacBook Pro. 10.5.6

QUOTE (Geek @ Feb 28 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Mac version doesn't even launch for me.

Late 2008 Unibody MacBook Pro. 10.5.6

Have you read and followed the instructions in the zip? You'll need the additional ndata file to run it. I don't own a Mac any more, but quite a few people have gotten it working so far.

Intel Mac version 0.3.7 crashes on launch. I'm running OS X 10.4.11 on an Intel MacBook Pro. Crash window:

Attached File naev_crash.png (47.13K)
Number of downloads: 31

I have the naev folder on my Desktop, and it contains "Mac OS X readme.txt", "naev.app", and "ndata-0.3.7".

CODE

Date/Time: 2009-02-28 18:30:56.741 -0500
OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)
Report Version: 4

Command: naev
Path: /Users/Nevin/Desktop/naev/naev.app/Contents/MacOS/naev
Parent: WindowServer (56)

Version: 0.3.7 ( 0.3.7)

PID: 441
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: _NSDefaultRunLoopMode
Referenced from: /Users/Nevin/Desktop/naev/naev.app/Contents/MacOS/../libs/libSDL-1.2.0.11.2.dylib
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation

Model: MacBookPro3,1, BootROM MBP31.0070.B07, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.2 GHz, 2 GB
Graphics: GeForce 8600M GT, GeForce 8600M GT, PCIe, 128 MB
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 1 GB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM1, 1 GB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x168C, 0x87), 1.4.4
Bluetooth: Version 1.9.5f4, 2 service, 0 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Built-in Ethernet, Ethernet, en0
PCI Card: pci168c,24, sppci_othernetwork, PCI Slot 5
Serial ATA Device: FUJITSU MHW2160BHPL, 149.05 GB
Parallel ATA Device: MATs###ADVD-R UJ-857E
USB Device: Built-in iSight, Apple Inc., Up to 480 Mb/sec, 500 mA
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, Apple Computer, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA
USB Device: IR Receiver, Apple Computer, Inc., Up to 1.5 Mb/sec, 500 mA
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, Apple, Inc., Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA

QUOTE (Qaanol @ Mar 1 2009, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Intel Mac version 0.3.7 crashes on launch. I'm running OS X 10.4.11 on an Intel MacBook Pro. Crash window:

Attached File naev_crash.png (47.13K)
Number of downloads: 31

I have the naev folder on my Desktop, and it contains "Mac OS X readme.txt", "naev.app", and "ndata-0.3.7".

It looks like the SDL is using newer system calls. Basically this means it won't work on older then 10.5.x for now it seems. I'm talking with the mac porter to see if we can solve it with a different SDL. Thanks.

In 10.4 and earlier, that symbols is defined in Foundation.framework rather than CoreFoundation.framework. I'm no expert, but I'd suggest linking against Cocoa.framework in addition to whatever else you're using. (Disclaimer: haven't downloaded the app and tried it).

Neat, it's like a 2D version of Vega Strike! Looks intesting to say the least.

This post has been edited by Hades : 03 March 2009 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Hades @ Mar 4 2009, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neat, it's like a 2D version of Vega Strike! Looks intesting to say the least.

Vega Strike was a great source of content when I was starting up mainly. Currently working on trying to get unique content (if you notice there's already a Kestrel in game) to try to not just be "that 2d vega strike game".

On incompatible binaries, going to try what prophile said and also working on seeing if there are endian issues to try to get out a universal binary that would work on older mac os x. Hopefully in two weeks it should be done, but since it doesn't depend much on me I have no real control on when that'll be done.

Is this 64bit endian safe? If so, I might try this on PowerPC 64bit Linux.

edit: it apparently is safe, and working, but sadly it's using OpenGL so it's unplayable on PowerPC + nvidia.

Nice. A Lua API is a great idea, much more flexible than mission bits, for instance. I think it looks like a great project. I've signed up for the mailing list. I'll play around in Naev a bit more and then see if there's a way I can help with writing and scripting.

Not bad -- you've got a fun game here! The volatile nebula "atmospheres" and the ship storage system are particularly nice touches. Similar things are possible in EVN, but only via sneaky work-arounds.

I wish NAEV would scale up for my 1440 X 900 screen, though -- that would beat squinting at tiny sprites in a window.

I got the ndata file and put it in the app, but I still can't get it to work. I've tried putting it in the Library folder, Resources folder, and just the root of the directory, but it doesn't launch.

EDIT: Ah, never mind. I wasn't sure what the readme meant...

EDIT2: Cool game! Best EV-like game outside of EV I've played so far. I tried Jack-of-all-trades from Dingo, but their trial version was simply awful.

This post has been edited by Geek : 11 March 2009 - 06:41 AM

Very small complaint: I like the distinctiveness of the sidebar, but I kept seeing gray ghosts moving across my radar.... Now I realize it's the background stars showing through the radar's "transparent" background. Not so fond of that.

I desperately need to be able to use an afterburner, but the afterburner keybinding is "not bound"... How can I add a key setting?

This is a seriously nice game. There's plenty of potential for this to be the one we've all been waiting for. My first complaint is that something about the way the starfield moves (or doesn't) makes me feel like I'm not moving. Without keeping an eye on the radar I can't tell that my ship is actually moving around the system.

I really love the hyperspace sequence and the fact that you can cancel jumps.

When you're ready to get some serious writing done, I'd be willing to contribute.

This post has been edited by gray_shirt_ninja : 11 March 2009 - 11:51 PM

Hello,

Sorry wasn't paying attention to the forum, must have missed the last reply e-mail.

I wish NAEV would scale up for my 1440 X 900 screen, though -- that would beat squinting at tiny sprites in a window.

I'll try to add that to trunk version. Shouldn't be hard at all since upscaling is already implemented (and active when you try to create too small of a resolution). I'll just add something like scalefactior which will be used to determine in-game scaling to attempt to use (game always enforces a minimum of 600x480 I believe it was).

EDIT: Already implemented in trunk. "scalefactor = 2." in your conf file would apply a 2. zoom. You can also zoom out with values < 1. Will be present in next release (0.3.8).

QUOTE ( @ Mar 12 2009, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I desperately need to be able to use an afterburner, but the afterburner keybinding is "not bound"... How can I add a key setting?

It defaults to double tap forward (which should be explained somewhere). Read http://code.google.com/p/naev/wiki/Keybinds for more details. Once a configuration file writing interface is thought out it will be implemented in-game.

QUOTE (gray_shirt_ninja @ Mar 12 2009, 05:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a seriously nice game. There's plenty of potential for this to be the one we've all been waiting for. My first complaint is that something about the way the starfield moves (or doesn't) makes me feel like I'm not moving. Without keeping an eye on the radar I can't tell that my ship is actually moving around the system.

It might be just a matter of getting used to it. Maybe adding a speed gauge or something to the interface. Currently there are some thought to add target relative velocity too.

QUOTE (gray_shirt_ninja @ Mar 12 2009, 05:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really love the hyperspace sequence and the fact that you can cancel jumps.

When you're ready to get some serious writing done, I'd be willing to contribute.

Well I'd really like to do serious writing. I actually have a major plot thought out for the Empire. If you want to discuss this the mailing list would probably be the best place. It's not used much, but if people start showing more interest it would be a good idea. What is mainly holding back is ship models and such. For example there are still 2 great houses without implementing which would be needed to flesh out the universe more (Za'lek and Sirius).

I'm not the best writer, so any help there is heavily welcome. Good place for anyone to start reading if interested would be:

http://code.google.com/p/naev/wiki/Factions
http://code.google.com/p/naev/wiki/History

If there is more interest in contributing I could get around to making better documentation for these kinds of things.

This post has been edited by bobbens : 12 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

Wow this looks awesome, especially for a homebrew/indie project. If you ever make up a Windows binary I'll take a look.

Trust me, this is like #2 on my list once I get an Intel Mac.

I don't know what #1 is, but I assume I'll probably do something first. Like transfer over my old data.

QUOTE (team23 @ Mar 13 2009, 06:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you ever make up a Windows binary I'll take a look.

QUOTE (Archon @ Mar 13 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trust me, this is like #2 on my list once I get an Intel Mac.

I've just installed it on an 8-year-old Sony Vaio running Xubuntu. The hardware requirements are fairly low. It's a good excuse to try out a Linux distro.

I've looked at some of the source and like what I see. The Lua scripting makes the engine very flexible. For instance, missions can be as long as they need to be. They advance in stages and you can set the conditions under which each stage of the mission completes. Whatever parts of the underlying C engine bobbens exposes through the API will be something you can effect with missions.

For example, it's easy to prevent ships from jumping out of a system. Also, he's already implemented real time events: just set a time limit (in milliseconds for instance) and conditions for success. If the player hasn't met the conditions by the time the limit expires, the universe explodes or tribbles overwhelm the ship, or whatever.

The game is taking shape but we all know the mountain of content it takes to make an game like this. I hope some of the talented people on this board contribute. I'm definitely going to put my hand in.

Should it be possible to progress to missions beyond the generic Empire cargo runs? I've probably done at least a dozen.

I dug around a bit in the "Mercurial" files online, and I think that perhaps the es_misn variable is failing to increment when it should. Of course, I've never seen a lua file before, so I don't really know what I'm doing....

two potentially relevant snips from my save file:

<rating>196.000000</rating>
<credits>985762</credits>
<time>1359009957</time>

<missions_done>
<done>Empire Recruitment</done>
<done>Nebulae Satellite</done>
</missions_done>
<missions/>
<vars>
<var name="es_cargo" type="bool">1</var>
<var name="es_misn" type="num">0</var>