Need some pluggin help

I need some help with my new pluggin.

If some one could help me work out the bugs and finish this pluggin, I would be eternally grateful.
I also need to know how to post a file here on the forums.
HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Did you want us to check what's wrong with your plug-in? If so, compress it into a .zip file and attach it to your post.

As for learning how to post a file, please read this carefully. Don't forget to read Zacha Pedro's guide as well.

I don't now how to do that, I also just need help with certain things that I can't seem to do. (i.e. I can't get the right graphics to go onto the ships or I can't get the wormholes to link, or I can't get the planets to not hate me. Be forewarned, though, this pluggin isn't complete yet. there are tons of just empty systems.

Are you using a Mac, or a Windows computer? Windows computers should be able to create .zip files, while Macs require Plugin Archiver 2 to create proper .zip files.

Mac OSX.

I thanks for the instructions on the .zip files (sort of), but how do you upload the folder (with read me) to __this __page?

You don't, you upload the .zip file. To do this, click the Add Reply button and use the attachments pane below the text area.

Here it is! 🙂

Instal by removing Nova data 1 and 2 and possibly 3 then placing plug-in in Nova Files folder.
This is a most incomplete plug-in, it's full of incomplete star systems, I have therefor kept hyperspace travel for the time being (and I don't know how to remove it from the ships), but in the game you are supposed to travel by wormhole.

I need
Graphics for the different ships
Programing help for the different wormholes
programing help for the different planets
programing help for the different missions
ideas for different missions
ideas for the different outfits/ships
ideas for a story line
and just general help to possibly make it go much faster

This is a total conversion based on the Vorkosigan Series, a science fiction series by Loise McMaster Bujold, All copyrights are held by her. LetumComplexo@gmail.com.

I'M NOT GOOD AT THIS KIND OF THING!!!

Don't feel like you have to help me do all of this or any of this, I will eventually figure it out, not counting the graphics and ideas.

This post has been edited by LetumComplexo : 26 August 2008 - 04:45 PM

Attached File Miles_Vorkosigan.zip (6.88K)
Number of downloads: 5

First I would suggest not placing a plug directly in the Nova Files folder. I believe it will work without it. Just use the same resource numbers as the ships you want to replace instead. Now, if you want to lower jump time than all you have to do is reduce the mass of a ship in the data files, but not the display making it say the same mass, but will take less days to jump.

Now I would also suggest that if you are new to plug-in designing that you start with something small. Modify existing things instead of adding a whole bunch of ships, wormholes, and stuff like that. This second part is probably the same response you'd get from JTH since he said that to me and everyone else that said they're new to plug-in designing, and he's got a very good point.

If the idea is to always travel by wormhole, set the flag in all your ships that says "prefers wormholes", make sure all systems have wormholes and then remove all the hyperlinks.

If I remove all the hyper links, then it'll be much harder to tell were the wormholes lead, I recall there being something like what I need in an existing plug-in. In the Colosseum plug-in you had to buy a certain outfit in order to hyper-jump, is there a way for me to do that, only without offering the outfit? And I am taking it small, what I'm doing is breaking the plug into steps, I'll create a few of the same resource about every 3-4 hours.

This post has been edited by LetumComplexo : 26 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

The only possible way to get the player to be forced to use an outfit for hyperjumping would be to design the game from the ground up so that you have to have the outfit in order to have energy; all ships with at least 100 units of energy can hyperjump. This would be a very large task to undertake in Nova, and would be very clumsy at best, especially with all the energy modifying outfits in Nova.

Personally, I think you're biting off way more than you can chew. It sounds like it's going to be about the same size as CTC-C, and let me tell you, that thing's going to take me at least 9 months to complete, (starting in March 08) and I'm a very fast worker. You should start with a much, much smaller plug-in, in my opinion.

@letumcomplexo, on Aug 27 2008, 01:32 PM, said in Need some pluggin help:

If I remove all the hyper links, then it'll be much harder to tell were the wormholes lead

You could use nebu images to display the wormhole links on the map.

Agreed. Smaller is generally better when you're starting. My TC is coming along fairly well only because I have pre-made graphics. Look. I'm willing to chuck in some stuff, laser graphics, animated energy weapons, and pretty much any graphic you need at all, although most of it is fairly bad quality at this point. If you need help for anything, send me an email (PM doesn't work), and I'll see if I can work it out at my soonest convenience. Biggest problem with graphics artists is they tend to want most of the thing completed before they'll help. This'll at least let you play test it to see how stuff works.

Or, if this is a TC, then none of the ships could have energy. One hypergate per system, allowing you to travel to the neighboring systems. You can tell which ones with the hyperlinks.

I'm surprised that someone else thought of a Vorkosigan TC. I thought of the same thing myself recently (actually, about ten months ago), but settled on an original universe instead, which became Acheron. I had thought of doing a Vorkosigan-series TC using some of the resources from Darkstar, though. I'd like to see a proper VTC made, but then again, I'd like to see any proper TC made.

(tangent)

From what I know, there are two "proper" TCs out there: CTC and Polycon (CTC in first place - Polycon isn't perfect but it counts), with ARPIA II definitely worth the same standing as a proper TC (but it's not a TC), and Acheron coming in fourth because, while it is a TC, it isn't ( yet) as full or complete as I'd like it to be.

Edit: I have not tried Miner's TC and I never was able to finish TCTC, so I don't know what the dealio is with those. So know that whilst considering my above comment.

(/tangent)

Anyway, good luck with this if you can pull it off. I'm definitely a fan of your inspiration.

This post has been edited by Crusader Alpha : 27 August 2008 - 10:19 PM

As for the wormhole and link problem, you could always make the wormholes actually be hypergates that look like wormholes. Then you would be able to see the links.

That makes quite a bit of sense thanks. 🙂

Attached File Miles_Vorkosigan.zip (9.11K)
Number of downloads: 5

I can't figure out what's wrong, You have to remove nova data files 1-5, and all ships. I need help with this one.