A TC Idea

Freespace 2 anyone?

I am going to pursue this idea. My plan is to have 6 goverments (Done with govt resourses) the Galactic Terran Vasudan Alliance, the Civilians, the Neo Terran Front, the Hammer of Light, and the Shivans. I want to have every ship in Freespace 1 and 2 in this TC. I also have done most of the ranks. I also will have this set before the Second Shivan war and during the NTF's attack on the GTVA. It will get to the point when Capella Star goes boom. When I get done with ranks tonight I am going to start on the Node-map. I am not sure on the mission right now because first I want to get the Node-map and ships in. I was just posting this here to see if anyone has suggestions, tips, etc. (Note due to me have not bought a Free life yet it will progress fast.) 😉

This post has been edited by Hades : 06 June 2008 - 08:27 PM

I'm clueless about Freespace, but it sounds like you've got a well-flushed-out starting storyboard. That's quite a boon right there.

Here is the Wiki.http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/ You can also go to Hard-light.net to download it and its upgrade the SCP.
I would give you a link to the Developers site for Freespace 2 but it went offline.

I also have an idea for the Jump Node. It is a wormhole that the player has to go through in order to get to other systems. The Knossos will be a hypergate to the Nebula. And I suppose that I could add the second Knossos. 😉

This post has been edited by Hades : 06 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

Its an idea, but considering FS2 is free now and really low-end on system requirements, I'd suggest just going and playing FS2.

I have Freespace 2 and I have played through it. I want to bring it to the Nova-verse. Also it wont be hard to get all of the ship into the game because I have the models on my HD. But the hard part is the sprites.

I think I have a name, or a temp name: Freespace 2: The Second Encounter.
So far 25 system done.

This post has been edited by Hades : 07 June 2008 - 12:21 AM

FS2 is a rather small universe, as things go. I'm semi-involved over at the HLP boards. (Planning on doing some voice acting auditions for some of the campaigns once I get a dynamic mic.)

I am thinking of adding more un-canon systems, but I am still thinking about it.
Here is nodemap. Posted Image
My Nodemap looks a lot like that.
Polaris, Regulas, and Polaris are NTF.
The Nebula is Shivan, and there will be at least 1 station and planet in each system and 12 will have 2. You will find out soon enough...

This post has been edited by Hades : 07 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

Not bad, except they don't know where that nebula is, and it might not even be in the same galaxy. Assuming it's a known nebula is a bad idea.

Also, it should only be accessible via Knossos, which would be a hypergate in this case.

Knossos gate should transport you, wormhole-style to a system very far away on the map so that it can't be seen/the other systems can't be seen.

Also, most FS2 missions are carrier-based, so the player should be force-landed at base after most missions, and there should be a supply ship implemented (we've discussed it before on these boards, and can tell you how to implement it if you really want).

Not bad, except they don't know where that nebula is, and it might not even be in the same galaxy. Assuming it's a known nebula is a bad idea.

Also, it should only be accessible via Knossos, which would be a hypergate in this case.

I know this, it will not be known until the Trinity goes through the node.

Also, most FS2 missions are carrier-based, so the player should be force-landed at base after most missions, and there should be a supply ship implemented (we've discussed it before on these boards, and can tell you how to implement it if you really want).

That is the reason I wanted to put it into Nova, because I have always wanted a Freespace 2 adventure game. The game will not be the same story as the one in Freespace 2. It will be different.

This post has been edited by Hades : 08 June 2008 - 02:22 PM

Bump

The FS2:TSE Site is open!

Can you see the URL yet?

This post has been edited by Hades : 11 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

@lnsu, on Jun 8 2008, 10:18 AM, said in A TC Idea:

Knossos gate should transport you, wormhole-style to a system very far away on the map so that it can't be seen/the other systems can't be seen.

The Knossos cannot be a wormhole, because wormholes have random destinations. There are three Knossos gates in FS2, the one in Gamma Draconis, the one inside the nebula, and the one in the system to which the nebula leads. Of these, only two get used. The third and final Knossos portal seen in the game is only used by the Shivans in the famous "DIVE DIVE DIVE! HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!" mission, so we don't know where it leads. Finally, the Knossos portals are not directly linked, so you would have to have two different hypergate sprites. One would be a knossos, the other should be like the HUD display of a jump point, because the two Knossos gates that the GTVA DID go through, terminated in regular jump points.

Yes there will be the Knossos sprite and jump display sprite. I even have an idea for a secret wormhole... more to come.

@captjosh, on Jun 11 2008, 08:21 PM, said in A TC Idea:

The Knossos cannot be a wormhole, because wormholes have random destinations.

Not necessarily. You can tell Wormholes what to connect to, and if it has only one entry, it will always bring you there (e.g. S7evyn-Obatta). Unless you mean that the Knossos wormhole should only have one exit point.

The Knossos will be hypergate because it is constructed and the Jump Point will be worm hole because it is of nature occurrence..

This post has been edited by Hades : 11 June 2008 - 06:37 PM

Sorry for being a smart ass, but I think an idea that's just as good would be to have an EV TC mod for FS2...

I think its been tried before, and it doesn't fit too well. Too many "haul cargo here, scan ship there, sneak classified documents past the feds" missions for FS2.

@lnsu, on Jun 13 2008, 08:07 PM, said in A TC Idea:

I think its been tried before, and it doesn't fit too well. Too many "haul cargo here, scan ship there, sneak classified documents past the feds" missions for FS2.

Well, nobody's saying the missions will need to be copied verbatim... 😉

Randomly resurrects self to throw two cents in

Well, the Knossos gates were just stabilizers for jump nodes and were constructed by the Ancients.

And also, in both FS games, there were different energy tanks for your weapons and your boost fuel. How do you plan to accomplish this, or are you just going to ditch the weapon energy system? It may not have seemed that significant, but in some missions you had a draining loadout, and you had to fire a good deal. By the way, I'd strongly recommend against combining the two energy pools.

You might notice that my email is mavericFSO @ gmail (dot) com and that on some other forums, my username is MavericFSO. The FSO is exactly what you might think it is from this thread. FreeSpace Open.

The energy system would be impossible to ressurrect in-flight. Unfortunately. That was significant sometimes, I agree.

BTW, you use FSO? Do you happen to know if there is a FRED editor version that works on Macintosh?