Innovative Weapons - A Pool of Good Ideas

@timmytiptoe, on May 6 2008, 02:57 AM, said in Innovative Weapons - A Pool of Good Ideas:

The subs will only fire in the Prox. Radius, and not on the end of their life.

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Something I came up with a while ago is the way overpowered Armageddon.

It's basically a super-powered invisible shot that creates tons of particles and follows targets and ionizes everything.

The description I made for it was all stuff that was supposed to sound like sciencey stuff.

I think the desc was something like, "The Armageddon is a large weapon containing a sphere of pure energy held in a thick fiber-class compartment and kept together by an elecromagnetic wave field. The energy is channeled through three filters. One filter converts the energy into a form that can be fired into space through four barrels which magnetize the shot, causing it to track the ship targeted by the main control ship. The charge is so powerful that if the ship hit by it is not destroyed instantly, it is heavily ionized. Another sends energy to the engines, recharging fuel. The last is connected to the container and the other two filters. It takes any excess energy and channels it into a field around the ship, which not only creates a powerful shield and energizes the hull (causing it to slowly repair itself) but keeps the Armageddon from overloading and causing a supernova. The Armageddon also resembles a smaller version of the experimental Herran weapon called the Trip Hammer."

This post has been edited by S.S. Valor : 11 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

That's a pretty valorous idea.

Interesting...

Not very innovative, but I am thinking about putting a weapon into Nebula (you only get one during a mission-- don't use it and you lose it when the mission ends) that basically ionizes/disables every ship within a 1.5 screen radius. It's useful for blockade running, but you guessed that first thing, didn't you? This topic has a lot of great ideas that I might just have to make use of.:D

I made a similar weapon using impact for an anti-fighter/anti-bomb freighter weapon. It blows everything within about half-screen radius away pretty hard, but it can only be used once every few seconds. It was very effective, but wasn't much use on destroy-ship missions because you couldn't get close enough to make your primaries effective while using it.

Cool weapons: see also, Ashen Galaxy.

Giant railguns, guided missile turrets, pulsating laserz o' doom, etc, etc, etc.

I remember someone (Qaanol maybe?) talking about a "forcefield" outfit that absorbs unfriendly weapon fire. Doesn't really work for AI, but handy as hell for players.

Basically it's a fighter bay that spawns a 0-armor untargetable fighter with a short, say 5, death delay and no explosions. Hold down the fire key and it essentially intercepts anything unguided (although it may be able to fire PD during its death countdown, I'm not sure though). I think that the ship will take on your momentum if you give the weapon part 0 speed.

Never tried it myself, but I'm pretty sure I've heard reports of it working.

And the ammo is used on BurstReload, which, if you do some magic with it, not uses any ammo. I've heard, at least.

Guided rocket

Make plasma-torpedo (see first page) and then at submunition field, click flags and then click about something that says 'submunitions fire at closest target''

Then, you should have weapon that is a rocket and it ''follows'' the closest ship.

This post has been edited by Jouman : 13 May 2008 - 06:44 AM

I believe such a system was used to make a cloaked-ship-tracking missile.

On another note, cloaking makes missiles lose their lock.

Yeah, I don't remember how that was done specifically, but I do know it's in the Cool Nova Hacks thread for anyone who's interested. I think it just rapidly subs into itself over and over.

Yep, because 'fire to nearest target' actually means 'fire to target of previous submunition' or, if it can't find that ship, 'fire to a random ship that is close to you', or, at least, that is the behaviour I found when I fired it.

Yes, if it isn't guided, and that flag is checked, it looks a little bit weird...

Flies to ship A, then changes in middle of the way target to ship B and so on. It takes a really long time for it to actually hit something if there are lots of ships.