Helenistic Expansion

An on-going project.

So, here's my project. In this thread. You'll see it and read it with your very own two (or one or three+) eyes, read it with your most dubious attention, and enjoy it with the utmost excitement and interest. This project that I've got in mind is not a TC, it's not a mini-mod.. it's not an uber-cheat; it's not a one-item thing, it's not an armory of weapons or a hangar of ships to add; there's not much in terms of graphics. This project will be an ongoing one. I'm not setting aside my gameplay or my life so that I can build a hug-anti-normous universe, nor am I going to start on this and stop like so many before me. No! The plug-in will unravel as I see it necessary for the enrichment of my gaming experience. If, in my travels, I think of something that I could use or do that's not yet there, I might just go off and make it. The plug will be evolving in "real time", as if the galaxy were growing and aging and new things were happening.

So, to start off, we have a new port and a new outfit.

Port Helen
The planet of Helen was not large enough nor stable enough to support a large shipyard and outfitting operation as it wanted, so it expanded out towards space with this spaceport. The port acts as the planet's manufacturing center, and as such, brings in a lot of profit to the Helenians.

The spaceport is a bustling place, with constantly moving freight containers and ship parts hanging precariously above. You see workers scuttling about and can hear all the conversations and orders being shouted, all mingled together in one indistinguishable clamor. Despite all the chaos, the dock seems to somehow be in great order and control of things, as nothing is ever lost or misplaced amongst the many containers and scrap heaps. Such dedication and organization are the most admirable qualities of the Helenians spaceport. Also, the founders of the port thought alcohol an abomination, and as such decided to ban the consumption of alcohol on the planet. As a result, the commodity is in great demand and is eagerly bought up by wanting customers.

Disabling Thunderhead Lance
The Wild Geese, known for their use of Thunderheads, are the inspiration for this weapon. Created by an individual party, the beam is very similar to the Thunderhead Lance that comes stock on the ship, but has one great difference; it cannot destroy a ship. The weapon contains a computer chip and sensor that can read the target ship's armour levels and safely stop damaging the ship when it becomes disabled. However, the power drain from the weapon is so great that it takes away from all weapon power systems in your ship and disables them from firing for the duration of the beam.

Anti-Fighter Turret
The Anti-fighter Turret System was inspired by the many freighters and large-ship captains that roam the fair spaces, vulnerable to small, fast ships darting back and forth in an attempt to destroy their ship and plunder it. What the AF Turret does is shoot small bursts of plasma shots, much similar to a medium blaster, at the targets in a sporadic flurry of fire 360 degrees around the ship. This will, in essence, help to fend off the hard to target fighters and damage them as well. The more of these you have, the more proximity defense you have.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

So there we have two things done so far. I'm currently fine-tuning the Disabling TH Lance to not be so powerful, which it is right now. I decided to make a port there because that is the system I use so much for pirate-hunting and plundering for a spot of cash, as well as getting Pirate Enterprises for defense/cargo space. There's a pretty penny to be made, yet the system had no outfitter nor a shipyard.
And that's where we stop for now. The Helenians have deemed that no further expansion is needed at the moment, and have finished all construction on the port, which is fully operational and ready to re-fuel, restock, and supply. However, the diligent technicians and scientists currently employed on the port are working on a modification of a classic ship. Keep your eyes peeled for it!

9/11: The Helenian engineers have come up with a new weapon; the Anti-Fighter Turret! This turret is to help all those large freight ship captains to defend themselves against marauding vipers and fighters.

This post has been edited by Crashe : 11 September 2007 - 10:43 PM

Nice. I do my pirate-hunting and other stuff in the Gefjon system, and made a plug that turned Thror into a pirate base (illegal weapons, pirate ships, and even a bar). Maybe you should put a station in that system, sort of like an anti-pirate Militia-type thing.

@zapp, on Sep 11 2007, 02:52 PM, said in Helenistic Expansion:

Nice. I do my pirate-hunting and other stuff in the Gefjon system, and made a plug that turned Thror into a pirate base (illegal weapons, pirate ships, and even a bar). Maybe you should put a station in that system, sort of like an anti-pirate Militia-type thing.

EVEN A BAR?!?! Wow! I'm gonna have to see what that's like!

It's , quote, "This dingy, hole-in-the-wall bar is extremely run down. Everything's cheap, though." Bar descs at their greatest.

That's longer than some of the ones in my vaporware plugs. In the Black Market one, I think it was just something like "Nothing much to see here."

Coming up...

A new system has been reached! Known for some time to the Helenians but never explored, the inquisitive engineers at Port Helen have found a new route to the system. Dubbed "Boundary" by the locals, nobody yet knows what the uncharted spaces there hold. With your help, however, they may be able to explore this new area and begin a new settlement there... but beware of hidden dangers!

New weapon added! It works alright, but I think it may need some fine tuning. Currently, it's classified as a cannon of sorts, but it has it's inaccuracy set to 360, so that it fires completely around the ship at random. Is there any way to make it so that it fires in certain angles at all times? Such as at 45, 90, 135, 180, 225, 270, and 215 degree angles (Every 45th degree)? Hm...

Yes, negative inaccuracy. I believe -45 would give you the expected results.

That didn't work out right.. It just shot straight out, even at different negative settings.

Well it works with submunitions when multiple of them fire at once... oh well. Guess you're better off with 360 inaccuracy...

I think there was another thread where they proved that this would only work with submuntions.

@crashe, on Sep 12 2007, 08:14 PM, said in Helenistic Expansion:

That didn't work out right.. It just shot straight out, even at different negative settings.

Given that, as Psycho said, it works with submunitions, what about a shot that decays right away and then splits into 6 submunitions?