More simple questions

Shipyard descs, images

I'm making a simple plugin for the EVO total conversion that adds a bit of usefulness to the Zachit storyline.

I want to make it so you can have 2 Zachit Fighter Bays, with a max of 3 per bay.

I can't seem to figure out how to limit it, though. If I put 6 max for Zachit Fighters you still only need one bay.

Presumably I need to find the appropriate bits to list in the availability field. How do I do that? I've looked through the Bible and some other resources, but if it's there I guess I didn't understand it.

This post has been edited by Zair : 04 December 2005 - 11:30 PM

The key is ModType 27 in the outf resource: Increase Max. The value in ModVal will then be the outfit that you want to increase the max of.

In the outf for the fighter, you would set the Max to 3. Then, in the outf for the bay, you would set ModType2 to 27 and ModVal2 to whatever the ID of the fighter outf is. So it should behave like this:

With 1 bay:
(Max of 3) * (1 max-modifying outfit) = 3 fighters

With 2 bays:
(Max of 3) * (2 max-modifying outfits) = 6 fighters

and so on.

By the way, with this system, you can still purchase fighters even if you have no bays. To correct this, use Oxxx, inserting the ID of the bay, in the fighter's Availability field.

PBoat

Don't be silly. Set the maximum in the outf resource for the fighter to 6 or higher, and the MaxAmmo field in the weap resource of the bay to 3. That's what it's for.

Ah-ha. Thanks, orca. Even simpler than I thought it would be.

orcaloverbri9, on Nov 30 2005, 08:25 PM, said:

Don't be silly. Set the maximum in the outf resource for the fighter to 6 or higher, and the MaxAmmo field in the weap resource of the bay to 3. That's what it's for.
View Post

Both are perfectly valid methods. Once you understand how Increase Max works, it's just as simple. Basically, it comes down to whether you want to enter something in the outf or something else in the weap.

Also, the Increase Max method has one advantage. Using MaxAmmo, there is always a set ceiling on the number of fighters you can buy. You can have five bays, but if the Max for the fighters is set to 6, that's what you're stuck with. With Increase Max, there is no ceiling. You can fill however many bays you can squeeze in.

That's hardly an advantage. You don't need to set it to 6 to use the MaxAmmo method. You can set it to 999, even - I believe ATMOS did this.

In any case, you may as well use the field designed for it.

The wrong method allows sales of stocked bays while still owning the fighter.

And your point is...? Why would you want the fighter without the bay anyhow?

orcaloverbri9, on Dec 1 2005, 06:38 PM, said:

And your point is...? Why would you want the fighter without the bay anyhow?View Post

So that you can easily get, say, four fighters per bay rather than two- more bang for your mass. No one said you needed to sell all of the bays. 🙂

And no, Increase Max isn't quite as nice as MaxAmmo: It uses one of the four ModTypes, rather than an otherwise-unused special-purpose field, it requires adding some NCB tests to make it fully effective, and those same NCB tests could lead to some unpleasant debugging issues if you change some outfit IDs and forget to adjust the tests. There aren't any major problems, but it is a bit harder than using the MaxAmmo field.

Edwards

Except that the maximum for the bay is two, so how could you have four per bay?

NebuchadnezzaR, on Dec 1 2005, 03:48 PM, said:

The wrong method allows sales of stocked bays while still owning the fighter.
View Post

Actually, I believe both methods prevent you from selling if it will leave you with more than you're allowed of the other item.

The advantage of the increase max outfit modtype is that you can, say, have a fighter bay that holds two fighters and a fighter bay that holds 4 of the same fighters by setting max outfits on the fighters to two, and giving the small fighter bay one increase max outfits and the other fighter bay two increase max outfit mods.

This post has been edited by Keldor Sarn : 04 December 2005 - 05:20 PM

I fail at the simple stuff.

How do I add a shipyard desc and image to the Zachit Arada and Zachit Fighter that I want to have available? I can find the desc and pict resources for ships that already exist, but I can't quite figure out how they're linked to the ship resources. Or whatever.

Apparently I also fail at posting. Triple-posting an hour apart is pretty tricky.

If a friendly mod could delete these extra two, please?

This post has been edited by Zair : 05 December 2005 - 12:48 AM

annoying triple post

This post has been edited by Zair : 05 December 2005 - 07:26 AM

Zair, on Dec 5 2005, 04:32 AM, said:

I fail at the simple stuff.

How do I add a shipyard desc and image to the Zachit Arada and Zachit Fighter that I want to have available? I can find the desc and pict resources for ships that already exist, but I can't quite figure out how they're linked to the ship resources. Or whatever.
View Post

Try not to change topic tiles - it can get confusing. Not really a problem, but still it's best practice not to.

As for shipyard desc and image, you might find this guide useful; the info you're looking for is at the end.

EDIT: and, yes, as the observatives will notice I just edited it, as I have noticed a typo: I had put 2000+shďp ID instead of 20000+shďp ID ...

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 06 December 2005 - 01:38 PM

Thanks, exactly what I need.

Keldor Sarn, on Dec 4 2005, 04:19 PM, said:

The advantage of the increase max outfit modtype is that you can, say, have a fighter bay that holds two fighters and a fighter bay that holds 4 of the same fighters by setting max outfits on the fighters to two, and giving the small fighter bay one increase max outfits and the other fighter bay two increase max outfit mods.

So the advantage is something that extremely few people will ever use. rolls eyes

In any case, Increase Max is silly for a purpose like this. He wanted you to be able to buy 3 fighters if you have one bay or 6 fighters if you have two. He doesn't want a bay that holds 6, and he doesn't want a large bay and a small bay. Why are you wasting your time trying to argue?

Plus, you can still achieve the same effect if you use max ammo. Just make the actual bay outfit invisible and the 'small' bay grant you one and the 'large' bay grant you two.