I don't understand this

Have you modifed the data files with EV-Edit?

The Apple Cřre: Yes, I know. I've tried to have reasonable discussions with them without insulting them directly, but I'm convinced that that entire board has a viral infection that causes anyone who posts on it for the purposes of supporting Nova to instantly and permanently become a complete idiot. I am very done with that board. Until I posted this thread here some time ago, the Nova board had me irritated to never want to come to the Ambrosia again, because I had a generalization that if that board was so completely stupid, that everyone here might be, too. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case, but it's even more sad when it's the developers that are the stupidest of the bunch...

Ace Rimmer: I actually have a duplicated version of the plug in question and tried EV Edit on it for what I wanted to do, and it worked fine. As far as I can tell, EV Edit does an absolutely excellent job at whatever you tell it to do, it's problem is that features are missing.

On the Res-Edit note...I was looking on the EV developers' board for resedit info (I've been looking through everything posted here and anything else I could find). I guess it's just too weird for me. Maybe I should just hit someone with a flyswatter. Though, you guys really all deserve hugs.

Verden Leafglow, on Nov 4 2005, 08:07 PM, said:

...but it's even more sad when it's the developers that are the stupidest of the bunch...View Post

Please, no flaming. If you can't play nice, you'll get locked in the cellar.

On the Res-Edit note...I was looking on the EV developers' board for resedit info (I've been looking through everything posted here and anything else I could find). I guess it's just too weird for me.

I never said you would learn ResEdit over night. I am NOT a coder, developer, programer, etc. And I learned ResEdit. It just took TIME. It's a powerful and reliable utility. I'll dig around and see if I can find the posts that helped me the most... I think most of them were written by Bomb.

Good luck.
wondergirl

wondergirl, on Nov 5 2005, 04:23 AM, said:

Please, no flaming. If you can't play nice, you'll get locked in the cellar.

They have a brain, it should be expected that they use it. I don't mind being locked in a cellar if I manage to get one person to use their brain in the process.

I never said you would learn ResEdit over night. I am NOT a coder, developer, programer, etc. And I learned ResEdit. It just took TIME. It's a powerful and reliable utility. I'll dig around and see if I can find the posts that helped me the most... I think most of them were written by Bomb.

Good luck.
wondergirl
View Post

I also said that I've had ResEdit for a while, have looked at it, read about it off and on, tried it out, and still trying to understand. This is over 10 years. It isn't going to suddenly change overnight because if I haven't learned it by now, I'm fairly certain it won't be clicking any time soon.

Verden Leafglow, on Nov 4 2005, 11:37 PM, said:

They have a brain, it should be expected that they use it. I don't mind being locked in a cellar if I manage to get one person to use their brain in the process.View Post

At least you'll go down fighting.

I also said that I've had ResEdit for a while... still trying to understand. This is over 10 years....I haven't learned it by now, I'm fairly certain it won't be clicking any time soon.

mutters about glass houses and stones

Verden Leafglow, we love the developers and graphic artists and beta testers and anyone else that works hard to create the games we play. Please, stop complaining about them and concentrate on how we can help you. 🙂

I suppose we could get the mrxak summoning chant ready...

:laugh:

I also said that I've had ResEdit for a while... still trying to understand. This is over 10 years....I haven't learned it by now, I'm fairly certain it won't be clicking any time soon.
mutters about glass houses and stones

Verden Leafglow, we love the developers and graphic artists and beta testers and anyone else that works hard to create the games we play. Please, stop complaining about them and concentrate on how we can help you.

I'm failing to see the connection between these two things...I merely said I couldn't understand how to work ResEdit for the life of me.

The connection is between your comments about the intelligence of developers and your inability to understand ResEdit after 10 years, that's all.

Now... peace.

~Fini~

The intelligence of developers has nothing to do with their ability to code. That's knowledge. Intelligence is developing a balanced game, a dynamic game, etc...

Okay, as far as learning ResEdit... I used Bomb's Plug-in Guide (but for some reason my bookmark link says it's not available, does anyone know why?) along with the annotated bible.

There are the following, which I have not used:
ResEdit Beginners Guide, on addons page
ResEdit Documentation, on addons page

There is also a book you can purchase called ResEdit Complete.

A quote by orcaloverbri9 encourage you:

In any case, your guide is the Bible. Period. I can't emphasise it enough: the Bible is your guide. Read it. Read it again. Read it over and over, and read it some more, and there'll still be things you don't know.

😛

Maybe that's why it's called the Escape Velocity Bible.

Unfortunately, my God isn't this game. You'll have to find something else for me to read.

The Apple Cřre, on Nov 5 2005, 07:09 PM, said:

Maybe that's why it's called the Escape Velocity Bible.View Post

🆒
The Apple Cřre ++

Verden Leafglow, on Nov 6 2005, 01:19 AM, said:

You'll have to find something else for me to read.View Post

No. I'm not your babysitter. Besides, I'm not helping you any more until you learn to play nice with everyone.

starts chanting and skips off to find the key to the cellar

The Apple Cřre, on Nov 5 2005, 02:50 PM, said:

I suppose we could get the mrxak summoning chant ready...
View Post

Whoops! Apologies to all for overlooking this. I think I have a valid excuse, but we'll not go into that.

Anyway, this really ought to have been posted to the EVDC. I am pleased to see such a good showing from the EV forum first, however, and I'd encourage all of you to continue posting to it after I move it to there. Ordinarily I might just let this stay here since it's generated a strong response, but the EVDC people may be of added assistance and it's been a while since there's been an EV-engine topic there.

iMove...

(edit) removed

This post has been edited by Guy : 05 September 2006 - 10:23 PM

Me said:

In any case, your guide is the Bible. Period. I can't emphasise it enough: the Bible is your guide. Read it. Read it again. Read it over and over, and read it some more, and there'll still be things you don't know.

Hmm...I only vaguely remember posting that. I probably never realized how awesome it was until now. 😄

Verden Leafglow, you need to understand something about developers: we like flexibility. The Nova engine provides much more of said flexibility than the EV/O engine. I don't know why you suddenly think we're a bunch of mindless idiots because we develop for Nova. There's a basic principle to be remembered here: engine != scenario. As much as you hate the Nova scenario, the Nova engine is superior to the EV/O engine in countless ways. Hell, you don't even need the scenario. Ever heard of a TC?

Speaking of which, EVC for EVN...what do you hate so much about it? Are you so picky that any minor thing that couldn't be avoided because of engine changes makes it suck? Okay, so the flashing "PORT AUTHORITY" is annoying as hell, and the overall speed is slower, but those are the only two big differences.

As for using plug-ins instead of modifying the EV Data file, it just makes sense. If you accidentally get it corrupted (and if you were using EV-Edit, you should have been very wary of this) and didn't make a backup, you're screwed. Plus, if you decide you don't want whatever you added (or think/know it will conflict with a plug-in you're adding), it's a hell of a lot easier to move a plug-in than edit the data file and keep the resources.

ResEdit is not hard to learn. Are you actually using the templates? If not, you'll definitely want to. Otherwise, I can't understand the difficulty; open the Bible, go to the relevant section, and fill in what it tells you to - it describes every field.

By the way, 30 is the number of frames per second. It's not an arbitrary number. Therefore, it makes perfect sense to base the shield recharging on it - unless you're suggesting they go by soemthing other than frames? rolls eyes

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 10 November 2005 - 03:27 AM

Hey everyone, don't be so quick to diss EV-Edit. It is pretty buggy, but we wouldn't have Frozen Heart without it. And it taught me the basics of plug-in design, which gave me the incentive to learn properly and now I never use it. But if I'd started programming on Res-Edit, I garantee I would have given up before I'd started.

Ev-Edit ++

--gav

Verden Leafglow, you need to understand something about developers: we like flexibility. The Nova engine provides much more of said flexibility than the EV/O engine. I don't know why you suddenly think we're a bunch of mindless idiots because we develop for Nova. There's a basic principle to be remembered here: engine != scenario. As much as you hate the Nova scenario, the Nova engine is superior to the EV/O engine in countless ways. Hell, you don't even need the scenario. Ever heard of a TC?

We shouldn't need to make a TC to have a scenario worth playing. Engine may not be the same as scenario, but the engine is pointless to have UNLESS there is a good scenario. The game isn't worth the 25 bucks I paid for it because so far I haven't found one. The original scenario is crap, and people who develop plug-ins for the game base it highly on the original scenario: thus producing crap. Finally, essential elements from the original EV aren't there, specifically: that computer weapons have longer range that player weapons. There is nothing in EVN that can match that type of computer:player balance other than inserting it itself back into the game.

Speaking of which, EVC for EVN...what do you hate so much about it? Are you so picky that any minor thing that couldn't be avoided because of engine changes makes it suck? Okay, so the flashing "PORT AUTHORITY" is annoying as hell, and the overall speed is slower, but those are the only two big differences.

Speed makes a difference, the sounds are wrong, the selections are wrong. I want to play EVC with new features, not some alien game that attempts to be like EVC with new features.

As for using plug-ins instead of modifying the EV Data file, it just makes sense. If you accidentally get it corrupted (and if you were using EV-Edit, you should have been very wary of this) and didn't make a backup, you're screwed. Plus, if you decide you don't want whatever you added (or think/know it will conflict with a plug-in you're adding), it's a hell of a lot easier to move a plug-in than edit the data file and keep the resources.

Uh, I did say I made a duplicate of the original EV Data, so getting it corrupted isn't a problem. Keeping the resources makes them far easier to access and makes the prodedure far quicker than normal.

ResEdit is not hard to learn. Are you actually using the templates? If not, you'll definitely want to. Otherwise, I can't understand the difficulty; open the Bible, go to the relevant section, and fill in what it tells you to - it describes every field.

I already said I'll use any document except the EV Bible.

By the way, 30 is the number of frames per second. It's not an arbitrary number. Therefore, it makes perfect sense to base the shield recharging on it - unless you're suggesting they go by soemthing other than frames? rolls eyes
View Post

Going by something other than frames is quite possibly the most obvious way of doing it, doing it by frames is just completely stupid. Rather...specific numbers of shield regeneration per second. These make Shield Boosters more balanceable, they don't indirectly cause Shield Capacitors to increase shield regeneration points per second, and it gives a more accurate ability to balance shield regeneration when compared to weapons fire. There is no other better way of doing it.

You refuse to use the EV Bible and you criticize the EVN developers' intelligence?

Pot, meet the kettle.