Openning STEVO models...

I recently found the models from the old STEVO star trek plug and i was wanting to open them. I found them here:

evula.com/shipyard/stevo

I have a discreet's 3d studio max 6 on my pc. I unzipped the .sit file but 3ds max refuses to open it. I am fairly new to the world of 3d modeling but they are .3ds files so i assume max should open them. But it won't. Why not? Are they from an older version of 3ds max?

Thanx!

Are you sure they arent .s3d? I don't know why but I seem to remember that the STEVO models were made using Strata (which uses the .s3d file format).

Besides, MAX isn't available for the Mac and EVC and EVO were not available for the PC so it would make sense that they were made on a Mac.

Heh, I'd forgotten I'd put them there. I think there was a topic around here a long time ago about these, I can't remember.

Yup. I can verify that they're definitely Strata 3D models. I had a little trouble decompressing the Cardassian file, but it does show a Mac type of "SPmd" and a Mac creator of "SPro". The file opened up readily when I dropped it on Strata 3D which displayed the model without complaint.

Ok, Im officially an idiot 🙂 It is .s3d. Is there any way to convert them to PC 3ds max format so i can edit them? Max is only 3d editor i have and i don't want to by another because there expensive. I have no 3d software on my mac. Also, anyone know who did those models originally anyway, so i can get permission to do stuff to them?

Thanx.

I believe the artist's names were Trent and Troy Tye. A couple of brothers. I don't think they have been around the EV scene for years, and probably won't care one way or another if you use their graphics. Just be sure to put them in the readme. 😉

Unfortinately, you are pretty much out of luck. Unless you purchace Strata (www.strata.com), you wont be able to open the models.

You could always find some nice person out there to convert them for you - I would offer myself, but I'm busy and really cant be bothered.

They are indeed Strata files -- Trent gave me permission to use them in SFA (I have used some elements of some of them, and the final ReadMe will list which bits were used in its credits) but he also told EVula to host them for anyone to use.

If you're wanting Star Trek meshes for 3D Max, may I recommend either Star Trek Australia(/i) or (url=http://www.trekmeshes.ch/)The Trek Mesh and Object Collection websites. Both SFA and ST:FF got the majority of their meshes from these two sites.

This post has been edited by UncleTwitchy : 04 April 2005 - 05:23 PM