Would people be interestested in an irc channel?

#evdc anyone?

I was thinking, perhaps we should have a real-time help center for EV development, for those who want quick answers to questions about the game engines, a way to throw around some ideas, and so on. A #evdc channel to complement this EVDC forum.

Anyway, I'm happy enough to see it get done. I'm connected to irc constantly, and I'm sure I could get the usual set of bots to make the channel official. What I want to know is, what kind of interest level would there be for it? We'd need more than just people asking questions, but people giving answers as well. I might be connected all the time, but I wouldn't just be sitting there answering everyone's questions. I know of a few people who'd probably stick around fairly often, but I'd like to see more people taking an active role.

Anyway, before I go ahead and try to get zambezi on the channel, I'd like to do a test-run. Come on out to #evdc on irc.ambrosia.net. Hang around a bit and talk EV development. Also feel free to post comments here.

Don't forget a Just Graphics channel. 🙂

Awesome idea! I would really to see this happen.

Graphics can always be discussed on #evdc as well as it relates to plug-in development.

there used to be #evdev, but 'bezi went away long ago...

Im game for it.

Insomniac, on Jan 28 2005, 11:50 AM, said:

there used to be #evdev, but 'bezi went away long ago...
View Post

I remember that! Back in the days when I had enough access to Zambezi to create new channels on her 😉

We'll havet

sounds cool. I cant be active much in the short run, but after a week or two I would be happy to answer relatively basic questions and ask advanced / speculative ones.

Cool. No need for zambezi however... 😉

zambezi is actually quite critical

Not if you used Nadia, which you already seem to have done. The bots aren't critical though, just useful.

I'll be there the whole time I'm online, I love the idea.

Nadia > zambezi ^_^

Well, actually it depends but I like Nadia. 🙂

This post has been edited by Taylor : 03 February 2005 - 01:03 PM

You only like Nadia because it's yours. Push comes to shove, I like Obort better, in the 3rd-party eggdrop bot realm. zambezi is naturally the most bestest, as it's the most officialest.

Anyway, #evdc has so far been a success. I encourage more of you to take advantage of it.

Question:

If the channel becomes sanctioned, will we see regular members becoming regular ops? Or will it remain limited to just you, and other regular ops?

I'm all in favor of having extra ops for specialized channels if it's necessary. The real question becomes, is it necessary?

So I'll put it this way, if you stick around a lot, it becomes a lot more possible. So stick around a lot ;).

mrxak, on Feb 7 2005, 02:22 AM, said:

You only like Nadia because it's yours. Push comes to shove, I like Obort better, in the 3rd-party eggdrop bot realm. zambezi is naturally the most bestest, as it's the most officialest. Anyway, #evdc has so far been a success. I encourage more of you to take advantage of it.
View Post

I like Nadia because the way she is configured, as I find her to be a very agreeable configuration, as she does not force modes and settings in channels as some other bots do. The "seen" function is also very nice in comparison to infobot's seen function.

mrxak, on Feb 7 2005, 10:29 AM, said:

I'm all in favor of having extra ops for specialized channels if it's necessary. The real question becomes, is it necessary? So I'll put it this way, if you stick around a lot, it becomes a lot more possible. So stick around a lot ;).
View Post

For certain people who know what they are doing, it is necessary. But yes, bots aside, it is a cool place to chill and it doesn't have to be "official" (or whatever that means) for people to go there. 🙂

This post has been edited by Taylor : 11 February 2005 - 12:24 PM

Since we already have a lot of stickies, I'm just going to bump this. I hope to see some new faces on #evdc soon though.

This is going to sound stupid, I'm sure, but if one was interested in getting started with irc (i.e. me), and had no idea on how to go about it, what would one need to do?

I figured I could ask here and at least get a polite refusal to help, as opposed to jumbled information strewn across 483 million websites with enough cross-referenced links for a concordance. 😉

http://www.irchelp.org/ is the place to go to learn what you're doing with IRC. It's not the most new-person friendly chat program around, but it's definitely not difficult.

Basically, you need to find an IRC program (I like IRCle but most people prefer others, I think) and connect to the server irc.ambrosia.net and join the channel #evdc - any further questions you can probably get the best answer from other people once you're online.

Have you had any luck with manhandling zambezi into the channel, or are we sticking with Nadia?