Krypt Attack

How did they do it?

I'm having a little trouble figuring this one out myself. Anybody know?

I believe their weapons are groups of black pixels, so they're rather hard to spot.

Stay away from those guys.

This post has been edited by Mantaray : 12 September 2004 - 04:38 PM

No, the "krypt mind attack" that occurs (as I recall) when you're on the Vellos plotline, and just drains energy. Not the actual Krypt ship weaponry.

This post has been edited by Wyvern : 12 September 2004 - 05:28 PM

Wyvern, on Sep 12 2004, 11:27 PM, said:

No, the "krypt mind attack" that occurs (as I recall) when you're on the Vellos plotline, and just drains energy. Not the actual Krypt ship weaponry.
View Post

That's an outfit that you get when you are attacked, and it's removed when you're no more. The outfit itself basically has an energy draining in its properties. You should open up Nova Data 4 in an editor to find the details.

Pace (haldora), on Sep 13 2004, 07:45 AM, said:

That's an outfit that you get when you are attacked, and it's removed when you're no more. The outfit itself basically has an energy draining in its properties. You should open up Nova Data 4 in an editor to find the details.
View Post

...so, let me get this straight. When a Krypt pod attacks you and you are hit by the weapon, you are given an outfit that drains your energy? The act of an AI attacking gives you an outfit?

Hudson, on Sep 13 2004, 09:11 AM, said:

...so, let me get this straight. When a Krypt pod attacks you and you are hit by the weapon, you are given an outfit that drains your energy? The act of an AI attacking gives you an outfit?
View Post

Note his reply to the first answer:

Wyvern, on Sep 12 2004, 11:27 PM, said:

View Post

He's not talking of the Krypt Pod and its weapons.

Pace (haldora), on Sep 13 2004, 09:23 AM, said:

He's not talking of the Krypt Pod and its weapons.
View Post

Fine, fine, fine. But how does that work?

Hudson, on Sep 13 2004, 09:55 AM, said:

Fine, fine, fine. But how does that work?
View Post

Originally found in "Nanites" in "Nova Data 3":
Krypt has no weapons; why should she have? As far as she is concerned, she is the only life-form in the universe. Krypt is, however, very curious. She will send out colonies of nanites from her roving spheres to explore strange asteroids and other phenomena. These colonies will latch on to material in space, and start exploring the composition. This has a devastating effect on ships.

Does that answer your question, Hudson?

Pace (haldora), on Sep 13 2004, 10:03 AM, said:

Does that answer your question, Hudson?
View Post

...no...

...I am still in the developers corner, right? When someone is asking questions about engine mechanics, they're usually expecting an answer involving engine mechanics. If I was looking for a narrative explanation, I would have gone to the Nova board...

Then what exactly do you want to know? Howcome it only attacks armor (knowing your involvement in Aftermath and seeing how long you've been here, I hope it isn't that)? Or do you really want a scientific explanation of how they work? Or how the Krypt Pod flies?

Could you be a little more precise?

Pace (haldora said:

,Sep 13 2004, 10:13 AM)Then what exactly do you want to know? Howcome it only attacks armor (knowing your involvement in Aftermath and seeing how long you've been here, I hope it isn't that)? Or do you really want a scientific explanation of how they work? Or how the Krypt Pod flies?

Could you be a little more precise?
View Post

Okay, for reference, I'm an ideas guy. I played a little with plugin making for a while 5 or 6 years ago, but that was for EVC and I haven't touched coding since. I have an understanding as to how one would go about building plugins, but I have no practical experience what so ever - but then I don't need any. All I need to know is what the engine is capable of. I'd rather spend my time coming up with creative narratives and craft designs than waste it learning how to code them. It's a matter of priorities; coding just doesn't feature on my list.

All I'm asking is, in terms of the Nova engine, how is that automatic energy drain achieved? If it's through an outfit that's attributed to the player on entering a system, how is it attributed? What are the triggers? What removes them? Can this technique be applied to triggers other than entering a system?

This post has been edited by Hudson : 13 September 2004 - 04:26 AM

Hudson, on Sep 13 2004, 10:24 AM, said:

Okay, for reference, I'm an ideas guy. I played a little with plugin making for a while 5 or 6 years ago, but that was for EVC and I haven't touched coding since. I have an understanding as to how one would go about building plugins, but I have no practical experience what so ever - but then I don't need any. All I need to know is what the engine is capable of. I'd rather spend my time coming up with creative narratives and craft designs than waste it learning how to code them. It's a matter of priorities; coding just doesn't feature on my list.

All I'm asking is, in terms of the Nova engine, how is that automatic energy drain achieved? If it's through an outfit that's attributed to the player on entering a system, how is it attributed? What are the triggers? What removes them? Can this technique be applied to triggers other than entering a system?
View Post

I've had a look at the "Krypt Mind Attack" missions (ID 862 to 866), and they are triggered when you "observe" Krypt Pods in one system (for those curious, it means "select", "target"). So this grants you the ";krypt mind attack" outfit (ID 339), so you lose a bit of energy. But this also starts the "Krypt Mind Attack Exit" missions (ID 867 to 871) which do exactly the opposite (when you target a Krypt Pod, you lose the outfit). But this also starts the Krypt Mind Attack missions again, so you have a cycle. You get the outfit, you lose it, you get it again,
That causes a perpetual drainage if you keep on selecting Krypt Pods

Pace (haldora), on Sep 13 2004, 10:44 AM, said:

snipView Post

Thank you. That's what I was looking for.

Hudson, on Sep 13 2004, 10:52 AM, said:

Thank you. That's what I was looking for.
View Post

You're welcome. (sorry for the waste of time when I didn't understand what you wanted)

For future reference, Pace, observe just means be in the same system. You don't have to target anything.

For future reference, Pace, observe just means be in the same system. You don't have to target anything.

For future reference, observe just means to see the ship on the screen. (Uncloaked of course)

bmac, on Sep 13 2004, 10:21 AM, said:

For future reference, observe just means to see the ship on the screen. (Uncloaked of course)
View Post

With Nova, at least.

bmac, on Sep 13 2004, 03:21 PM, said:

View Post

So in the actual view-screeny type area? As soon as the player has seen the actual ship, that's when it's triggered?

bmac, on Sep 13 2004, 02:21 PM, said:

View Post

For future reference, observe just means be in the same system - UNLESS the ship can cloak, in which case it must be onscreen and uncloaked.

And thanks to Pace for actually answering my question, even if the explanation may be a bit off - it still explains how to trigger effects upon entering a system. Useful, that - imagine, say, a government that built special power transmitters to give their ships a home-ground advantage...

This post has been edited by Wyvern : 13 September 2004 - 10:48 AM

Hudson, on Sep 13 2004, 03:44 PM, said:

So in the actual view-screeny type area? As soon as the player has seen the actual ship, that's when it's triggered?
View Post

If the ship can has a cloak, yes. Some experimentation would have to be done to determine the exact definition of "has a cloak", though - there are a bunch of bits that control cloaking behavior, and which (any or all) of them correspond to "has a cloak" is not something I know. But I can find out easily enough, so that's allright.