*Gasp*! A NovaTools Bug!

Originally posted by MistDragon:
**I have been having the same problem has Cafall: using ResEdit for about ten minutes or more, I open a resource to edit (any, not limited to just outf), NovaTools interface starts to appear and then computer locks up; can still move mouse but nothing works have to Force Restart.

I have been experiencing the exact same problem. I happened most of the time when I booted in OS 9, although I still encountered it when I ran Classic through OS X. At least it didn't happen as regularly, and I didn't have to do a forced restart.

Currently i'm trying to lay my hands on Resourcerer, but their supposedly "OS X" demo is just a classic app. What a rip!

------------------
Drop the banjo and step away from the fire hydrant.

Originally posted by Russell Quintero:
I haven't seen any of the talk about chars, but all of mine work perfectly. I try to figure out the hex Editor, thanks. I'll post my results here.

Well, I bet that isn't it. After posting that I remembered that I can actually go do the same thing myself, even if I haven't registered EVN. Anyway, the tmpl and novatools create the exact same entry in the hex at the exact same point for the OnShipdone field, so I don't think Nova Tools is the problem. It looks like EVN isn't using some of the resources in plugins to overwrite stuff in the datafiles perhaps.

Try making a plugin with a misn rsrc ID that overwrites one of the missions in Nova, and see if that works, then try making a different plugin that makes a mission with a resource ID that isn't used in Nova, and see if that one works. Perhaps it's malfunctioning and won't use plugin resources that overwrite things that are already in the datafiles, but will use ones that are all new resources? (or the other way round?) But some parts of the misn are showing up in Nova, just not the set fields, aren't they? Hmm.

As for the char (char mind you, not pers) check out this thread (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum9/HTML/002621.html")http://www.AmbrosiaS...TML/002621.html(/url)

I think people are able to make all new chars, but they can't overwrite char 128 (which is included in the nova datafiles) perhaps a similar situation is occuring with some misn fields or something?

**I have been having the same problem has Cafall: using ResEdit for about ten minutes or more, I open a resource to edit (any, not limited to just outf), NovaTools interface starts to appear and then computer locks up; can still move mouse but nothing works have to Force Restart.

I thought maybe the Grayscale Interface was causing the problem so I which to BW Interface, however, the computer still locks up.

Tried deleting ResEdit prefs and reinstalling NovaTools twice but the problem still exists.

I am using a G3, 233mhz, 96 RAM, Virtual Memory 150 MB running OS 9.2.2.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. It is very irritating trying to work on plug-ins and having to do a Force Restart every 10-15 minutes and then wait about 5 minutes for the computer/OS to come back up.

I think i know what your problem is. Resedit is running out of memory. I have resedit set at 2500k min, and 5000k prefered, and this (the freezing of resedit) never happens to me. Dont know how to change how much RAM it's using? here's how: First, click on the resedit app once. then, hit command+I (or if you're lazy, go under finder to "get information". Next, click where it says "General information" and select "memory". After that, change the numbers to what ever you want and close the window. Ta dah! problem solved (hopefully). feel free to tell the forum if it works.
I'm on a G3, 256 ram, 30 gigs of rom, virtual memory off, running OS 9.1 and Dr. ralph, besides the 1 annoying thing with the weopons locations (and a few human errors of mine) novatools work amazingly well. now i can make EVN harder on my brother and live the live of luxury.
(edit: added in part about system requirements)

(This message has been edited by bite_me_man_87 (edited 04-09-2002).)

Originally posted by bite_me_man_87:
I think i know what your problem is. Resedit is running out of memory.

Unfortunately that is not the problem. I have increase memory to ResEdit to 32520 K and the problem still exists.

------------------

**Unfortunately that is not the problem. I have increase memory to ResEdit to 32520 K and the problem still exists.

hmmm... well, there goes my 2 cents, unless virtual memory is the problem.. i remember that back in the old days (not THAT long ago) that some programs and virtual memory didn't mix.. maybe resedit is like that, try turning VM off..

------------------

Oh, another mild bug: when run in classic, ResEdit crashes if a save is done while certain resources (spďns and shďps, possibly something else) are open. It does seem to save, though.

------------------
"A taco is merely a rigid, deformed tortilla."
- Thomas Castiglione
"There will be MUCH CRUSHING!"
- Pink

Virtual Memory is not the problem, nor is RAM allocation, nor is processor speed, for that matter. I have a 400MHz iMacDV with 384MB of RAM and no signifcant amounts of VM. I'm running OS 9.2.2 and OS 10.1.3, which are on separate hard drives. I have used ResEdit for various tasks, from changing file formats to C programming, for three years, on OS 8.x and 9.2.x, and ResEdit never crashed once until I installed NovaTools. I've tried reinstalling NovaTools. This is definitely a NovaTools bug.

------------------
The only sovereign we can allow to rule us is reason — Wizard's Sixth Rule, Faith of the Fallen.
— Cafall

(This message has been edited by Cafall (edited 04-10-2002).)

I tried to modify the "b511" plug to show whether I have a few other bits set, I duplicated the mďsn resource and changed the ID to another unused spot and used NovaTools to change the bit it scans for, but though I know the bit is set, the mission doesn't appear at all, it only works for the original mission, or when I modify that particular one to scan for the bit I want. Am I missing something here?

Originally posted by SD:
Try making a plugin with a misn rsrc ID that overwrites one of the missions in Nova, and see if that works, then try making a different plugin that makes a mission with a resource ID that isn't used in Nova, and see if that one works. Perhaps it's malfunctioning and won't use plugin resources that overwrite things that are already in the datafiles, but will use ones that are all new resources? (or the other way round?) But some parts of the misn are showing up in Nova, just not the set fields, aren't they? Hmm.

As far as I can tell, EV's plug loading code just looks for resource's in the plug-in's folder and loads them into data, in liu of whatever it would normally accept - even if said resource's reside in the application itself, not a data file (this is how I got Mercenaries to use a custom-named music file and create its own last pilot aliases). It seems strange that it would have a specific case not to load char 128.

As for parts of resource's getting patched when other parts don't, this seems to happen in the colr resource, but it's probably a bug.

-reg

------------------
"Oh crap. I'm going to hell - I put the Bible next to Mein Kampf again."
-Her Holiness, Pope Jenne "Kirby" Hubbs

ok.. what version of Resedit you people with problems using?

------------------

Have any of you guys that are trying to stop the freezing problem,try to allocate more memory to Resedit. Novatools in more demanding than what Resedit is set to by default.

------------------
" Come up, O lions, and shake off the delusion that you are sheep. You are souls immortal, spirits free, blessed and eternal "
-Swami Vivekananda

Resedit has 24 megs going to it and novatools crashes so much that i'm just using the templates and a different copy of resedit now

------------------
How to use a tooth pick: Hold stick near center of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion.
This message brought to you by the Campaign to Save the Humans. We bid you farewell

ok.. what version of Resedit you people with problems using?

v2.1.3, the latest — and probably last — version of ResEdit.

Have any of you guys that are trying to stop the freezing problem,try to allocate more memory to Resedit. Novatools in more demanding than what Resedit is set to by default.

I would not reply to such a ridiculous post, except that I would like to say this: Read the whole topic.

------------------
The only sovereign we can allow to rule us is reason — Wizard's Sixth Rule, Faith of the Fallen.
— Cafall

Originally posted by bite_me_man_87:
running OS 9.1

It is looking more and more like system 9.2.x is making life difficult for Resedit,
and unfortunately there is little that can be done about it. If you can use 9.1 or earlier, try that and see if the stability problems get better.

BTW:
The memory requirements for NovaTools are large and variable. The biggest
requirement is when any sprite (spin, shan or rle) is being displayed, otherwise
I find 8192kB - 12800kB is just fine for multiple windows, spell checking and so on.
With the Auroran Carrier usign PICt sprites the requirements topped 80000 kB, but I set it back down afterwards.

------------------
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/dr_ralph/index.html") w00tWare: NovaTools are here!(/url)

Originally posted by Cafall:
**Virtual Memory is not the problem, nor is RAM allocation, nor is processor speed, for that matter. I have a 400MHz iMacDV with 384MB of RAM and no signifcant amounts of VM. I'm running OS 9.2.2 and OS 10.1.3, which are on separate hard drives. I have used ResEdit for various tasks, from changing file formats to C programming, for three years, on OS 8.x and 9.2.x, and ResEdit never crashed once until I installed NovaTools. I've tried reinstalling NovaTools. This is definitely a NovaTools bug.

I'd agree with you, and lord knows NovaTools does stretch ResEdit a bit, but I am getting consistent reports of freezing in OX 9.2.x. Myself I don't seem to be able to reproduce the problem, and I'm using a TiBook 667MHz 1GB/48GB OS9.2.2/10.1.3.

Some people have reported improvements after deleting their ResEdit prefs file
and starting again, so there may be some prefs file problem and I am waiting for more evidence so I can address the problem if I can for v1.0.1

Cheers
DrR

------------------
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/dr_ralph/index.html") w00tWare: NovaTools are here!(/url)

Originally posted by Restorer:
**SIGH... In the time it took you to post that, you could have done a search for "graphical syst". But to appease your lazy exp. , I'll go ahead and tell you that one for NovaTools doesn't exist as far as we know. Get NovaMap, links are in a topic somewhere on the first page of posts.

-Matt

Ummm, i;ve been looking up and down for NovaMap and I don;t see it. Can any tell me where it is? Oh, and does anyone know if Ponetus is making an EVN Developers Map?

Originally posted by DeathScythe:
**Ummm, i;ve been looking up and down for NovaMap and I don;t see it. Can any tell me where it is? Oh, and does anyone know if Ponetus is making an EVN Developers Map?

Check (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum9/HTML/002588.html")this(/url) thread.

------------------

Originally posted by DrRalph:
**I'd agree with you, and lord knows NovaTools does stretch ResEdit a bit,

Hey, I thought it was just me runnin' 8.6 and ResEdit 2.1.3 that was havin' problems. Increased memory to 20560K and still happens. Though it seemed to happen a bit less often, perhaps that was just wishful thinking on my part. I have to reach around behind my antique Performa and do the trick with the reset button. I'll be patient and wait for the good Dr. to figure it out. I'm just a lowly idiot, I just play with them, I don't write them.
Scooter

Originally posted by DrRalph:
**I'd agree with you, and lord knows NovaTools does stretch ResEdit a bit, but I am getting consistent reports of freezing in OX 9.2.x. Myself I don't seem to be able to reproduce the problem, and I'm using a TiBook 667MHz 1GB/48GB OS9.2.2/10.1.3.

I'm running 9.2.2 on an iMac 400 SE-512Ram and I have yet to have ResEdit crash on me. Could it have to do with an extension installed in 9.2.2?

------------------
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/thorprime")NovaBurst Home(/url)

in reply to the starting post of this topic : why is that wrong?

Codec is where you do buy bioweapons (at least if you want to make any money you do) and menin and moash etc is where you sell them, where they purchase them off you. This is right. The same for opals, for example, Thror is where you buy them and thraine is where you sell them. This is right - there is no bug as far as i can see

AJM

------------------
"All things are possible. Most are highly improbable"