Important decision

Hi all!

I must ask for advice. It's a tough one. Basically, I got a summer job and at the end of the summer, with the help of previous savings, I want to buy a new computer. With so many choices out there, and even though I have been a strong defender of the Apple cause, today, I must ask:

MAC or PC?

What would be best for a modest budget? In terms I can understand (and hopefully someone else) I don't want a Corvette (or a Kestrel? hmmm...) No, I want something more modest, but not too lame either. In terms of car, I'd get a small Chevrolet. Or a Honda Civic (economic on fuel, rarely breaks, and most important of all, it works).

So please, any arguments in favor of (or against) Mac or PC (although I can forsee the outcome HERE) are welcome. Please note that I speak only 3 languages: English, French, and a bit of Spanish. I don't speak computerese.

Sincerely (and thanks in advance),

gorizo

------------------
"There was a great ghastly silence.
There was a great ghastly sound.
There was a great ghastly silence."
The destruction of the Earth, according to Douglas Adams, from "The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy."

If you want a cheap Mac, there's the iMac. $999 for a modest one.

------------------
"It's clearly a budget. It's got lots of numbers in it." -George W. Bush

AIM-OctoberFost

Yahoo Messenger-OctoberFost

(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/octoberfost")http://www.geocities.com/octoberfost(/url)

The thing you have to keep in mind when comparing Mac and PC prices is that many PC offers come without mouse, keyboard or monitor, even without an OS. That means that PCs are more expensive than it looks like.

Zarquon

------------------
"I'm beginning to see the flowers from the wrong side"

-The prophet Zarquon, shortly before passing away

If you want a Honda Civic type machine, definitely a Blueberry non DV iMac is what you are looking for, for $999. Especially if you like Macs already. Or possibly even an older iMac, used of course, one of the 333Mhz varieties for $700-$800.

------------------
"The impossible is easy; it's the unfeasible that poses a problem."

Oh, darn, wrong board again. (Thanks for the answers, by the way)

I hereby ask for this discussion to be moved to the Banter and Brawl board. I believe it will be best suited there. That was where I wanted to post it in the beginning.

Hoping some moderator sees this,

gorizo

------------------
The destruction of the Earth, according to Douglas Adams, from "The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy."

Macintosh Darnit!! MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC!!!!!! GO WITH THE MACINTOSH!!!!!DARNIT!!!!

------------------
Admiral Zombat
http://www.phyre.pyar.com

"What does not kill me, only makes me stronger."
-Some person

A PC is probably going to remain the more affordable choice into the near future, but you need to weigh that difference in price against how you're going to use your machine and what you're going to run on it. If I were shopping right now, I'd go for a reconditioned 333 Mhz iMac. Good luck!

------------------
PlanetPhil
"Going to sea is going to prison, with a chance at drowning besides."
—Samuel Johnson

E-mail Mazca or Blackhole if you realy want it moved, since they are the main moderators of the DEV board. It's okay by me to have it here. Before you e-mail them, you may want to have a look at what's been happening on the B&B; board. Things are a bit nasty there right now, so you might be better off here.

As for your question:
If all you do is play games, and you can live without Mac-only games like EV/EVO and Marathon, and if you can use Windows wihtout wanting to take a hammer to the computer, get a PC, BUT get one with an AMD ATHLON cpu, not anything else. There are a lot more games made for the PC, even if most of them are garbage, there are so many that you can find quite a few good ones.

Otherwise, get a Mac. They are: in my opinion, easier to use, less frustrating, have less conflicts with accessories and software, because everything made for the Mac is made for Apple (wheras PCs have several manufacturers, so that is is harder to test for them all). Yes, in general, they are a bit more expensive, but not always.

I would wait until the MacWorld convention on July 19-26 (?) to see what new stuff comes out. After that, you can either buy something new that you can afford, or maybe get a better price on something you are looking at now.

Keep saving your money until then.
Hope this helps.
Jude

------------------

Cost of a brand new 500 MHz PC (K6-2, Pentium III or AMD Athlon with 3DNOW)
$400 -American

Cost of keyboard = 5-20
Cost of mouse = 5-20
Cost of 15' monitor = 50-100

Total Cost for a 500 MHz PC system with Windows 98 and Super software bundle:

$500 if you are smart. That's 500 MHz BTW, not 333. Plus, you will be able to buy cheaper accessories for it. All new Apple computers come with UBB which is less used and more expensive.

If you are thinking about used, than you can get like a 250 MHz or so system for less than $300. Hell, if you have a used ATX comp, you can add an $500 MHz AMD processor and BOARD for $84!

------------------
tear it down / AIM: G2uidehatr

Originally posted by Soviet mikee:
**All new Apple computers come with UBB which is less used and more expensive.

They come with what now? 😛

------------------
Brooklyn. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

AIM: obormot345

What do you want to use the computer for?

Games only? Go K6. Poke around for prices on pricewatch.com.

Anything but games? Mac.

Everything? Mac.

The other problem is what do you have to spend on this?

-S

------------------
Chick: "I don't know to use a gun!"
Guy: "Ever use a camera? Same basic princible: Point and shoot."
-- From an unknown movie trailer I saw ages ago.

Originally posted by Obormot:
**They come with what now?:p

Damn it! I meant UCB! Er... UUB!!!

USB, I know I know. =p

------------------

I want to buy a new computer too at the end of the summer, preferable a g4. My advice to you is to wait and watch what apple will do next. For instance, In my opinion it would not be a good idea to buy a mac now because they have not release any new hardware, and the price of a mac has been the same since a few months (or so). Wait until they release new stuff and the price drops. When I bought an iMac rev B, 20 days later they released the colored ones and the price dropped. :mad:

Originally posted by Jude:
**E-mail Mazca or Blackhole if you realy want it moved, since they are the main moderators of the DEV board. It's okay by me to have it here. Before you e-mail them, you may want to have a look at what's been happening on the B &B; board. Things are a bit nasty there right now, so you might be better off here.

Sorry Jude, I thought that was how discussions are moved, by asking on it. (Sheesh, I'm a newbie again!) I will follow your advice and keep the discussion here.

Thank you for all your advice. Soviet Mikee, your responses, though they seem well thought of, are a bit hard for me to understand. They'll require some meditation on my part. (BTW, Athlons are THAT cheap?!?!?)

Now, to clarify things: I want a polyvalent computer: Internet, games, word processing, graphics, and what not. Except programming, of course 🙂

My budget for the thing: $1000-1250 (which includes the system, keyboard, modem, mouse, screen, and the big box that makes grinding noises...)

On an aside, what computer system is best for engraving CDs?

Thanks a bunch!

gorizo

------------------

If you have that much, go for a iMac DV, not SE. (Layman's terms: the new $1299 iMacs that come in five colors, but not graphite (i.e. not Special Edition)). You get:

• A 400 mHz processor

• A 10 GB Hard drive, and 64 megs of RAM.

• Digital Video stuff

• Get it in lime, then send it all to me!

Heh... Really, you should just get the $999 model iMac if you're looking for something conservative. I'm the one dreaming of a iMac DV.

------------------
Zacha K
(url="http://"http://users.aol.com/zachakplug/sigdir/index.html")The Zacha K Space(/url)
(url="http://"http://users.aol.com/zachakplug/sigdir/azach.html")Find out more about the Zachit(/url)
(url="http://"mailto:ZachaKPlug@aol.com")mailto:ZachaKPlug@aol.com(/url)ZachaKPlug@aol.com

Originally posted by gorizo:
**Now, to clarify things: I want a polyvalent computer: Internet, games, word processing, graphics, and what not. Except programming, of course:)

My budget for the thing: $1000-1250 (which includes the system, keyboard, modem, mouse, screen, and the big box that makes grinding noises...)

Thanks a bunch!

gorizo

In this case, definitely go with an iMac. However, wait for MacWorld NY, at the end of July. They may release a new iMac at that point, in which case you can buy it, or get a lower price on the current iMacs. As to burning CDs, that more depends on the CD-burner you use, and the software it comes with, than what kind of computer you have. I know very little about that area. I do know that you could spend around $800-$1000 on an iMac, and then use the extra couple hundred to buy a decent CD-R drive. Anybody have some recommendations on a good CD-R(W)?

------------------
"The impossible is easy; it's the unfeasible that poses a problem."

Go the PC, its cheaper, and you can just use an emulator for the good ol' ev. I think to build it yourself will cost next to nothing, my brothers cost about $700-$800 US, and he had a lot with it (good 3d card, better board, good sound card.)

------------------
In one ear and out the middle
- me

I'd like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona
- Aston Villa's Mark Draper

AIM - EST champion
Email-
champion@metallica.

All things have a purpose. All things that have no purpose cease to exist.

Originally posted by champion:
**Go the PC, its cheaper, and you can just use an emulator for the good ol' ev. I think to build it yourself will cost next to nothing, my brothers cost about $700-$800 US, and he had a lot with it (good 3d card, better board, good sound card.)

Take a $300 stripped system and add:
HD : $100
CDR: $120
Graphics card: $80
128 MB RAM: $120
AMD 500 MHz Processor: $42

= $762
add keyboard and mouse for $15 and 15' monitor = $80-$100
Total system cost: $867

I have a 233 MHz iMac, I bought it over a year ago for like $750.

------------------

Originally posted by Chrestomanci:

Originally posted by gorizo:
**Now, to clarify things: I want a polyvalent computer: Internet, games, word processing, graphics, and what not. Except programming, of course:)

Thanks a bunch!

gorizo

In this case, definitely go with an iMac. However, wait for MacWorld NY, at the end of July. They may release a new iMac at that point, in which case you can buy it, or get a lower price on the current iMacs. As to burning CDs, that more depends on the CD-burner you use, and the software it comes with, than what kind of computer you have. I know very little about that area. I do know that you could spend around $800-$1000 on an iMac, and then use the extra couple hundred to buy a decent CD-R drive. Anybody have some recommendations on a good CD-R(W)?

I've heard a rumor that the new upper end iMacs might have a G4 processor. In any case, I'd wait for the new stuff to come out next month before I'd buy (although current iMacs may be scarce by then). It does sound you are in the market (price-wise) for either a mid-range iMac or a lower end G4 tower (do you already have a good monitor you can use with a tower?--if so, go with the G4!).
As for CD-RW, I'd recommend one that is capable of using both Firewire and USB if you get a computer with Firewire (Firewire seems to provide a faster and more stable connection for burning CDs). That way you can use it one your computer and also on other people's older iMacs and G3s that only have USB. Unfortunately, right now, CD-RW with Firewire (with or without USB) are very expensive right now. That's why I don't have one yet. Wait a while, ther are better CD-RWs coming out every month and the prices should start going down.

Remember, if you are a student or teacher, you can get a discount on Apple computers.
Jude
BTW, Mikee, I doubt if you can get an AMD ATHLON cpu for $42 unless it's been stolen.
------------------

(This message has been edited by Jude (edited 06-27-2000).)

Have you thought of a Blue-and-White G3? They're cheap now, with the advent of the new iMacs and G4s, yet they pack a whollap <sp>; you could probably get a refurbished one, cheap, or look on Ebay or a similar site.

If you like windows, then get a PC. If you've never used windows, stay with macs and avoid a hell of a headache. If I were you, I'd wait until after Macworld, then buy an iMac if prices have not dropped, or a low-end G4 if they have.

Macs are much more reliable and easier to use/troubleshoot than Wintel clones....

Best of luck,
U-99