Pick Your Igazra

-- a comparison of sprite sets

Poll: What's your preference? (37 member(s) have cast votes)
Pick one.
Original EVO
(6 votes [16.22%])
Percentage of vote: 16.22%
Magma
(5 votes [13.51%])
Percentage of vote: 13.51%
Cold Fusion
(13 votes [35.14%])
Percentage of vote: 35.14%
Facelift
(13 votes [35.14%])
Percentage of vote: 35.14%

This is just out of curiosity -- I don't think any of these versions is going to go out of circulation based on the poll results. This is really a matter of personal taste. An Ig showed up recently in a certain EVN plug, though, and it got me wondering what people thought.

Anyway, here are the sprites, all shown at the scale at which they appear in-game:

Original EVO:
Posted Image

Magma:
Posted Image

Cold Fusion:
Posted Image
The Cold Fusion version is shown as it appears under Nova; under the original EVO engine, the ship is reduced to 256 colors.

Facelift:
Posted Image

The Facelift version has 72 frames, while all the others have 36. Facelift is also the only sprite set to provide engine and weapon glows; here's what the Igazra looks like with those turned on:
Posted Image

For Magma (by Meowx), see ASW's EVO Add-Ons collection. For Cold Fusion, see my site. For Facelift, see Guy's site. And no, I won't add that Igazra strap-on dildo pic (wherever it's gotten to) to the poll. 😛

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 05 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

I haven't used Magma, Cold Fusion or Face Lift, thanks for showing what each looks like.

I voted for Magma. More ship-like. Less phallic. 🙂

The Magma one might be nice... if I could see it. That's the problem with all the Magma sprites.
The Cold Fusion one is too shiny - that's the problem with all of those sprites.
And the problem with all the Facelift sprites is they have very little detail for their size.
Guess that just leaves the original EVO ;). I'd say the Magma is the best model but it's a crap sprite.

I'd go for cold fusion if it wasn't so shiny and reflective. I never realized the Igazra was phallic until I saw it in a nova plugin.

In the end, I say Magma, assuming that we can get another rendering of it that looks better. Hopefully someone can get the model of it and nova-ize it.

Ditto on Magma. I can barely make out what it is, but dang, if it doesn't look sweet.

I guess Captain Skyblade and I just like shiny -- sorta like Meowx likes dark, and Guy apparently likes big and matte. 😛 😄

I doubt Meowx wants to (or can?) re-do Magma, but hey -- if you want his ships brought to the Nova port, ask him!

By the way, for those who haven't figured this out and want to see more (without downloading and running all the plugs): additional Magma screen shots are on Meowx's site, a Facelift screen shot is on Guy's site, and CFN screen shots are on my site.

Guy, if you feel the Facelift sprites lack detail for their size, you could rerender them at something closer to their original EVO sizes, of course. Since they have an angled POV, are in full color, and have glows and such, a lot of people would probably still find them to be a big improvement over the original sprites. 🙂 (But who am I to talk? By the same token, I could add glows to the CFN sprites, even though I don't have the model files. Lack of time and interest probably means I'll never get to it.)

The original one looks like an orange penis.
The Magma one looks like a grainy brown penis.
The Cold Fusion one looks like a shiny orange penis.
The Facelift one looks like a large orange penis.

@dr--trowel, on Jan 6 2007, 02:45 PM, said in Pick Your Igazra:

Guy, if you feel the Facelift sprites lack detail for their size, you could rerender them at something closer to their original EVO sizes, of course. Since they have an angled POV, are in full color, and have glows and such, a lot of people would probably still find them to be a big improvement over the original sprites. 🙂 (But who am I to talk? By the same token, I could add glows to the CFN sprites, even though I don't have the model files. Lack of time and interest probably means I'll never get to it.)

Well I don't have any of the model files (for the engines and stuff) but I could easily just scale down the sprites. I already did that for a number of ships which I felt were too large in proportion to the rest of them. Hm, what are the respective sprite dimensions of all of those?

@guy, on Jan 5 2007, 11:01 PM, said in Pick Your Igazra:

Hm, what are the respective sprite dimensions of all of those?

ConText the shans?

If you do this, perhaps tinker with using unsharp mask before scaling down the base sprite PICTs. Approximating LASIK that way may or may not turn out well, but it's worth a shot. You might also try adding blur to some of your glows. 🙂

I meant the dimensions for the 4 different Igazras. I'm not in a position to ConText or do anything else at the moment really - just make some notes to myself. And a clarification: they're not really my glows 😉

I've been adding some glows to some of the original ships lately (more to see if I understood how the system worked than for any practical reason). Most Crescent ships are easy, as you have rear crystals which can engine glow, and front crystals which can weapon glow. If you wanted 'running lights' you could have a glow moving up and down the crystals on the side (of the warship or Arada, say).

The Igazra is a bit trickier, as its crystals are very bright already, so I've left that one alone. I quite like the Facelift's solutions though. Relative to the size of the ship, the engine glow is quite subtle - which is important, as you don't really want to see a Crescent ship with a huge rocket plume coming out the back. 🙂

As the owner of the Igazra, I'd have to say the facelift one.

I prefer original.

Facelife is most like the original, aside from size, so that has my vote.

@mista_b, on Jan 13 2007, 08:32 PM, said in Pick Your Igazra:

Facelife is most like the original, aside from size, so that has my vote.

Yeah I'm for facelift, or just the original.

I've been tinkering around with ships too, if any of you remember the 45ÅŸ sprite I made for Override, basically I've made one for the Nova version as well sans glowing engines though. Right now, I'm trying to find a way of making the glowing crystals pulsate in a Crescent Warship, the light comes from the aft and runs up towards the bow.

like most, i prefer either the facelift or the original

EDIT: magma does look pretty ****in' cool though

This post has been edited by daowei : 24 January 2007 - 01:12 PM

I liked Facelift. Nothing can replace the original Igazra, but the Facelift model improves it.

Original is the best

I love the original, but the Cold Fusion looks fricken awesome.