A Return to the EVO Webstory

(edit) Scratch that question, I wasn't very awake.

This post has been edited by SilverDragon : 01 March 2005 - 12:41 PM

~vIsitor~, on Mar 1 2005, 05:58 PM, said:

Research:

Hyperquartz Research:
Find a way to cheaply produce refined hyperquartz refraction crystals, research retooling them into power-cells and capactiors.
ETA: Subject to Moderation (I am really getting impatient...)
View Post

I submit that while it's too bad that Visitor is impatient, he will remain so until he PMs me with the details that he wants to get approved. Unfortunatly I'm not the kind of guy who trolls the story topic in rapt anticipation of finding details of tech research to approve.

In the name of Zid! That has to be the worst post ever written, I should have gone with my gut instinct and just written the stats and projects.

It wasn't bad at all. Better than most of my posts, and that's enough.

-Consul Bob

Paranoid, on Mar 2 2005, 10:08 PM, said:

In the name of Zid! That has to be the worst post ever written, I should have gone with my gut instinct and just written the stats and projects.
View Post

Heh... besides everyone knows that Espy is Zid's favorate son.

Thunder, I looked through your %age figures and this seems about right. If I made a mistake it'll only be by a few fighters.

Total - 100% = 1512 Crescent Fighters

Blaga - 8% of Miranu forces = 122 Crescent Fighters
Himgro - 10% of Miranu forces = 152 Crescent Fighters
Zimla - 8% of Miranu forces = 122 Crescent Fighters
Nadej - 8% of Miranu forces = 121 Crescent Fighters
Mirava - 15% of Miranu forces = 227 Crescent Fighters
DSN-3930 - 10% of Miranu forces = 151 Crescent Fighters
Lieta - 9% of Miranu forces = 136 Crescent Fighters
Zanat - 3% of Miranu forces = 45 Crescent Fighters
Priat - 3% of Miranu forces = 45 Crescent Fighters
Kitrak - 3% of Miranu forces = 45 Crescent Fighters
Eiribi - 3% of Miranu forces = 45 Crescent Fighters
Zeldair - 3% of Miranu forces = 45 Crescent Fighters
Timidor - 3% of Miranu forces = 45 Crescent Fighters
Kirrim - 3% of Miranu forces = 45 Crescent Fighters
Garren - 3% of Miranu forces = 45 Crescent Fighters
Dewe - 3% of Miranu forces = 45 Crescent Fighters
F-25 - 5% of Miranu forces = 76 Crescent Fighters

Ipvicus, moderate yourself. Your attack on Zachit is flawed and you damn well know it.

Okay, I'm having a bit of a talk with Ipvicus. It seems he's decided to moderate back into the past, cancelling the moderations previously done, confirming what I did, for reasons he won't make clear, but seem to have a bit to do with the fact he's pissed off with me for having an effective fighting force. He had my micro-pursuit missiles moderated on because they were too effective. I ask you to look at his plasma warhead missiles. 3 weapon systems for less research time, each more effective than what I got.

I will not fight an enemy who moderates to his advantage. Cheating always pisses me off greatly.

We've had a variety of moderators over the years, but Ipvicus has got to be the worst I've seen yet. Not only bad, but inconsistent.

Hope everyone else has fun, but I don't suggest you keep playing.

It's entirely understandable why the micro-pursuit missiles were moderated (a 3 day project which in effect, more than doubled the amount of power you can deliver), and I'm looking at Ipvicus' plasma warhead missiles now. He has about 9 days of unused research time because he's not been researching constantly, so the short time for his plasma warhead missiles can be increased by filling up that gap. Other things I'm going to look into and discuss with Ipvicus.

The matter which RMA and Ipvicus disputed was one of whether or not RMA's main fleet would be back in Zachit in time for the fleet (currently is in DSN-2131 destroying Asriel.) Unfortunately, no resolution could be decided and Ipvicus overruled the opposing argument, causing RMA to quit.

Also, I'd note for everyone else that the earlier moderation on RMA was me, not Ipvicus. It was at Ipvicus' request to have a look at it, but on RMA's request to have a look at plasma warhead missiles I'm doing just that. As I said some time ago, that's how I'm operating.

This isn't supposed to be a rebuttal, but merely a clarification of events for everyone else. For the record, I agreed with RMA on the position of his fleet when Ipvicus attacked, but as co-moderator I was overruled.

RMA, on Mar 3 2005, 10:58 AM, said:

Okay, I'm having a bit of a talk with Ipvicus. It seems he's decided to moderate back into the past, cancelling the moderations previously done, confirming what I did, for reasons he won't make clear, but seem to have a bit to do with the fact he's pissed off with me for having an effective fighting force. He had my micro-pursuit missiles moderated on because they were too effective. I ask you to look at his plasma warhead missiles. 3 weapon systems for less research time, each more effective than what I got.

I will not fight an enemy who moderates to his advantage. Cheating always pisses me off greatly.

We've had a variety of moderators over the years, but Ipvicus has got to be the worst I've seen yet. Not only bad, but inconsistent.

Hope everyone else has fun, but I don't suggest you keep playing.
View Post

I'll be the first to admit that I'm perhaps not the best of moderators, looking back on what I've let RMA get away with it's easy to see why. The fact is, when it comes to the heart of this matter, I am annoyed at RMA for his behavior in the story, but I can't really blame him for it. What I can do is step in when I think he's overstepped the bounds.

When Esponer and I agreed to use this strict time system at the begining of the story I told him then that I wasn't sure about it's implications. Used incorrectly, it can completely strip one player of almost any options within the story, and I didn't like that. I told Esponer then that I was going to go along with strict time, but that I would reserve my judgement on how it was used. What RMA's done is take that system that was meant to provide realism in limited instances and exploit it as a tool to completely cripple asriel in the game. Because asriel wasn't as good at coming up with counters as RMA was at coming up with rigged tech, he had a momentary disadvantage that he would be unable to fix in the least if RMA got his way.

So, my moderation is rather simple. I've revoked RMA using one strict time period that encompases everything from his first attack to his latest one. Instead, that first strict time instance has been moderated to ending with the Battle of Zachit, where asriel attacked and lost his entire fleet. The next strict time instance began yesterday when RMA launched his attack on DSN 2131.

I'd like to note that RMA was not kicked out of the story, he just couldn't deal with not getting his way. He's still welcome to participate in the story, though I somehow doubt that he'll return. In all of the stories I've participated with him in any capacity I've never known him to participate for an instant longer than he is assured that things will go exactly as he wants them, whether the situation is a moderation matter or just plain being beaten.

As for moderating to my own advantage, you're allowed to form your own conclusions. If you ask anyone (Esponer for one) who's known about my plans in the story to attack the Miranu, they'll tell you that I was planning to attack RMA before his main fleet ever left the Zachit system. I have no problem with facing RMA's entire fleet, I have a problem with RMA using strict time for a purpose that I feel is detrimental to the story.

Maybe it's a bad thing that I have a moderating philosophy that focuses on the story more than it does adhering to specific sets of rules, I'll leave that up to you guys to decide.

If the writerbase feels that I have been totally unfair and egregiously abusive in this decision, feel free to say so, and I'll allow Esponer to make the decision.

As I've said to multiple people on AIM, my strategy relied on a lightning series of attacks. This is not allowed according to you because it takes advantages of the rules and brainpower.

And if you insist the strict time rule started again yesterday...guess which fleet is 10 minutes behind yours entering Zachit? That or you ran into trouble in Sumo. Choice is yours

My problem with your moderation is your reasoning runs along the lines of "Well, it's fairer this way", never actually basing decisions on facts, reason, or common sense.

I hate

Thunder, as per my last two PMs to you while I saw you browsing the forum: I need to talk to you on AIM ASAP. Ipvicus' attack on the Miranu is invalid and needs redoing bearing in mind your early warning system, but your post also shows that you don't know how your early warning system works either. Ipvicus' post will be redone, but I need to discuss things with you as well. Namely, your early warning and what you want to do with it - reinforcing such and such. I also could do with talking to Ipvicus (probably tomorrow) about the path he took through to your systems, because it all matters with your early warning.

I'll reply to the Battle of Molar post later today or, at worst, tomorrow. Carnotaur will probably be able to reply in Innirian and Ersadt soon but we need to sort things out with the Miranu and what's happening now that RMA has quit. A temporary Zachit player is needed (although as after the Zidagar are pushed back there won't be any more Zidagar, hopefully the Zachit player won't need to continue on as it's doubtful the Miranu have any more threats).

Also, Thunder, another question I'll ask on AIM when I see you: will you send a distress call to the Azdgari, particularly those in Raigar?

RMA, on Mar 3 2005, 12:06 PM, said:

You should not be a moderator because you are unable to seperate personal grievances from your moderation ontop of all the other problems. My conversations with you on AIM have made this pretty clear.
View Post

As I've said, this has nothing to do with my personal grievances. The philosophy I'm operating on now is the philosophy I've had the entire story. Hell, just ask Selax, he also quit because his "reality" conflicted with mine. You're free to do the same, and I'm no longer going to continue this conversation in the public forum. Everyone in the story knows both of our positions, and we'll leave it to them.

This post has been edited by Vice Admiral Ipvicus : 03 March 2005 - 01:59 PM

I've been asked for my opinion but no one paid me to say this.

I've looked a little bit at the issue and the problem is pretty obviously in the concept of "strict time." RMA took the NT onto "strict time" so the Zidagar could fight with the Renegades. I'd personally say that his use of it as a tactical weapon to ensure that asriel never had a chance was a bit low-brow, but since it wasn't illegal under any rules it must be permitted. While on "strict time" almost a week of "real time" passed, so even though in regular "game time" several weeks passed RMA's fleet was stuck in a time warp. If Ipvicus attacked and Zachit was still undefended that would mean that the Zidagar were also playing on "strict time" so all upgrades from before RMA's initial assault and all new ships built by the Zidagar would be void and invalid. Under these circumstances the attack would be valid, but under any other circumstances the Zachit fleet would have been able to return to their home systems and repair any damage done by the Renegade fleets.

I hate time paradoxes...

This post has been edited by Paranoid : 03 March 2005 - 02:32 PM

I'm probably one of the few who doesn't see much wrong with what RMA is saying, but I'd prefer to stay out of the argument altogether, although I must say I hate being modded on a technology quite a while after it was previously reviewed, passed, and researched. If there was a problem with RMA's Micro-Pursuit Missiles, then someone should have addressed it beforehand.

In other news, here are the specs for the new ship I'm researching, the Indar...

INDAR
Shield Capacity: 230 total
Shield Regeneration: 145
Structural Integrity: 25
Hyperdrive Speed: 24 hours / hyperlink (1 dph)
Maximum Cruise Speed: 225
Acceleration Thrust: 425
Lateral Thrust Power: 4
Vessel Mass: 95 tons
Vessel Length: 135 meters
Minimum Crew: 37
Weaponry:
1. 4x Particle Beams
2. 6x PDS Batteries
3. 4x Graviton Beam
4. 2x Rocket Launchers + 18x Zephyr Rockets
5. 3x Rocket Racks + 12x Zephyr Rockets

And here are the specs for the Ixada Orbital Defense Platform (ODP). I might note that there are three different weapon setups for the ODP, for dealing with different situations. I'll make sure to specify the different types of ODPs when I end up building them (3 RTD per ODP).

IXADA ORBITAL DEFENSE PLATFORM (ODP)
Shield Capacity: 4,000
Shield Regeneration: 500
Structural Integrity: 100
Minimum Crew: 170
Mark I Weaponry:
1. 12x Particle Beams
2. 24x PDS Batteries
3. 12x Graviton Beam
4. 3x Type-2 Torpedo Launchers + 50x Class-3 and 125x Class-2 Halcyon Torpedoes
Mark II Weaponry:
1. 16x Particle Beams
2. 10x PDS Batteries
3. 12x Graviton Beam
4. 3x Type-2 Torpedo Launchers + 50x Class-3 and 125x Class-2 Halcyon Torpedoes
Mark III Weaponry:
1. 23x Particle Beams
2. 10x PDS Batteries
3. 3x Type-2 Torpedo Launchers + 50x Class-3 and 125x Class-2 Halcyon Torpedoes

And finally, I'm making a slight modification to the Igara. I'm removing 15 Torpedoes and replacing them with a single Rocket Rack and four Zephyr Rockets. All my ships also now have Miranu enhanced FTL comm and sensor technology.

This post has been edited by Captain Carnotaur : 03 March 2005 - 03:15 PM

Grunadulater and Consul Bob—the show I'm stage managing is entering its final week of rehearsal. I don't have any time for this any more, as much as I'd like to, so I'm leaving. Good luck with filling the void of the Voinian player, and I'm sorry that I've been rough to play with.

Puts on "old sea-dog" costume

Arr mateys, let me tell you the truth 'bout them Voinians. Thar cursed I tell thee! Carn't you blind fools see! Three mates have sunk with them and nevar been seen again.

What? One of the players is still around? Keep your voice down! Oh err... I mean... Arr, thart new replacement they found for the old Cap'n is obviously a fake! Yarr, the ghost ship replaced him with one of them, you blind fool!

Be ye warned, take not this position for ye shall surely fall victim to the ghost ship!

:laugh: Bwahahaha!!! :laugh:

Good 1

Bring it oooooooon.

: )

Okay, I'm thinking that for the sake of simplicity, the Miranu attack posts should hold, but Thunder -- feel free to reinforce Zimla with the 200-ish CFs in Mirava pretty much instantly.

Since this battle is staged, I'd encourage neither Ipvicus nor Thunder to be over-concerned with absolutes. You two should probably talk over how you want things to proceed, too.

Ipvicus, feel free to finish the Battle of Molar in your next post, and you may decide the losses. Two Azdaras will jump into the system a few hours after you've destroyed my fleet - one of them you can destroy, I'd appreciate if if the other one, the heavily upgraded and extremely well piloted Cahaari , escaped to Tollb. Maybe gave some of your fighters a hard time before leaving -- up t' you.

Grunadulater, I love you. Thanks for remembering what Azhaurai said about Tahal in a firefight in an earlier post.